Main Menu

Assist hooks

Started by Mandelstam, April 18, 2013, 08:43:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandelstam

I'm a bit interested in trying out using assist hooks on my cod jigs. I really like the idea about skipping trebles and instead an assist hook directly on the main line and be able to store all lures without nasty hooks attached to them.

But in Sweden it's almost impossible to find the hooks used in making assist hooks and I have to order them from Japan or the US. So I'm wondering what's the design theory is behind the actual hooks? To my eyes they are short shafted and have a wide gap. But could you use a "regular" hook in the right size?
"Fish," he said softly, aloud, "I'll stay with you until I am dead." - Santiago, Old Man And the Sea

Bryan Young

You could use any hook.  Short shanked hooks are harder to work out since there is little room for leverage against the hook shaft.  At least that is the theory. 

By the way, assist hooks also come with a treble hook configuration as well, although not seen as often.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

BMITCH

Karl, if you google assist hooks there are MANY instructions and videos out there to see. All you will need is a couple of basic tools and hollow core spectra. An evening with a pint and the instructions with the materials and you'll be making up enough for the whole season. Best thing about making your own is that they can be custom made to fit your jig or style as you wish.good luck

Bob
luck is the residue of design.

saltydog

I think it is easier and I personally get better hookups with octopus hooks snelled with a doubled up piece of 100 to 150 pound solid braid.As you can see standard assist hooks can detract from a baits presentation and if you are using lighter line can and will cause you to miss hookups do to you not getting the hooks set properly because of the diameter not being able to penetrate due to lower drag and rod weights.I use this general rule of thumb,if you can't straighten your hook out with the line class you are using and it's the lightest diameter wire in that hook size then you are on the right track.Alot of guys use hooks that are meant for 80 to 200 pound test when using 30 pound test and the chances of getting that super heavy hook into a fishes mouth will be minimum at best.
This is the way I rig mine.
Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

johndtuttle

Any short shanked "live bait" style hook works fine for assist hooks. The Shout Kudako is one of the better known and liked. The style of "eye" it has with a bend in it is ideal for tying it on and having it lay right. Very simple to do with the proper materials (ie up to 500lb test Kevlar for big 'uns).

Everyone I know ties their own to save a few pennies and keep busy between trips.

best

johndtuttle

Quote from: saltydog on April 18, 2013, 10:05:56 PM
I think it is easier and I personally get better hookups with octopus hooks snelled with a doubled up piece of 100 to 150 pound solid braid.As you can see standard assist hooks can detract from a baits presentation and if you are using lighter line can and will cause you to miss hookups do to you not getting the hooks set properly because of the diameter not being able to penetrate due to lower drag and rod weights.I use this general rule of thumb,if you can't straighten your hook out with the line class you are using and it's the lightest diameter wire in that hook size then you are on the right track.Alot of guys use hooks that are meant for 80 to 200 pound test when using 30 pound test and the chances of getting that super heavy hook into a fishes mouth will be minimum at best.
This is the way I rig mine.

looks great Salty. Just need heavier cord for big tuna etc (long fights with toothy critters).

best

saltydog

Most the tuna we get in the gulf never get over 150 pounds and if we are getting cut by kings and wahoo we go to wire.With these rigs we seem to connect better,but I would agree on the bigger tuna like cows and Bluefin heavier cord would be a must but then I wouldn't be using 30# line either.
MacArthur

conchydong

I just use the Mustad Hoodlums  (# 10827) when I make my homemade assist hook rigs. Relatively cheap, relatively strong, and readily available. They should be available in Sweden also... I would think...Norway is not too far away.

Bryan Young

I like to use Owner cutting point hooks, the thinnest diameter possible for the fact that it penetrates easier.  I cannot recall, but I also use octopus owner hooks as well as Owner, Gamakatsu, Mustad, BNK, and Tankichi circle hooks....
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Mandelstam

Thanks for the input guys!

I'll definetly want ot make my own assist hooks. And thanks to Saltydog's tip I don't have to order solid rings (also impossible to find in Sweden) I can just use a heavy swivel. 
I will look around and see if I can find any Hoodlums or any other hooks that look nice.

/Karl
"Fish," he said softly, aloud, "I'll stay with you until I am dead." - Santiago, Old Man And the Sea

Mandelstam

Do these look any good for assist hooks? Mustad Big Gun. Couldn't find any hoodlum hooks in Sweden, but I found these

Bryan Young

Mandelstam

saltydog

Those will work great.
MacArthur

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain