Main Menu

Assist hooks

Started by Mandelstam, April 18, 2013, 08:43:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

conchydong

X4 They should work just fine. One more thing,  I prefer to use Kevlar instead of Spectra for the cord but either will work. The swivel instead of a solid ring is also a nice improvement.

Bryan Young

Where do you get Kevlar from?  I also read but cannot confirm that Kevlar is affected by moisture (gets weaker)  This is one of the reasons why boat builders were having issues with some of their kevlar lined hulls.  It could be coming from the fiberglass manufacturers, I don't know. 

If someone knows to help educate me, that would be AWESOME!!!
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

conchydong

Quote from: Bryan Young on April 19, 2013, 10:08:46 PM
Where do you get Kevlar from?  I also read but cannot confirm that Kevlar is affected by moisture (gets weaker)  This is one of the reasons why boat builders were having issues with some of their kevlar lined hulls.  It could be coming from the fiberglass manufacturers, I don't know.  

If someone knows to help educate me, that would be AWESOME!!!

Bryan, Kevlar has some advantages over Spectra such has higher abrasion resistance and heat resistance (important if you use shrink tubing over your knots). Kevlar, however, is not as good as Spectra when it comes to ultraviolet and moisture. Still it will last longer than your jig will. ;D  Most jiggers that I know prefer Kevlar for assist hooks. Many brands are available but I use Western Filaments (Made in USA) brand of Kevlar cord that is available at Tackle Direct.

Scott

Keta

I've been slipping 80lb Spectra into 50lb hollow Dacron when I tie assist hooks, the Dacron is not slippery like Spectra.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Bucktail

I use Kevlar as well.
Just a jig-a-lo

Bryan Young

I've been using 200# braid (Dyneema).  It's not designated hollow, but at that weight, it will hollow out.  Line was free so that is what I use.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

johndtuttle

Quote from: Mandelstam on April 19, 2013, 05:27:08 PM
Do these look any good for assist hooks? Mustad Big Gun. Couldn't find any hoodlum hooks in Sweden, but I found these

They will do, but note the upturned eye on the hooks posted by salty.

I found this old photo of some Shout Kudako rigged with Kevlar:

(pay no attention to the other lures) But note on these how the upturned eye helps the hook lay flat with heavier cord. If you use hooks with straight eyes they will have a little "kink" in how they lay. Not that I can say I missed a hook up due to that but most prefer the bent eyes.

best

Keta

Don't run the line through the eye on streight eye hooks.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Mandelstam

I actually, after about 4 hours of searching, find a spanish webshop that carry a lot of assist hook accessories. Cheaper than ordering from Asia or the US.

But the upturned eye, I've noticed that as well and understand what you say, but when you look at most assist hooks they are made with straight eye hooks with the cord running through the eye.. And there often is a big kink in the line at that point.

But I think I'll snell the line on the hook instead, without running it through the eye as Lee said. I probably wont use super heavy cord so I don't think it will be too bulky.. 

Thanks!

/K
"Fish," he said softly, aloud, "I'll stay with you until I am dead." - Santiago, Old Man And the Sea

Keta

There is hollow 50lb Dacron on your spool, put some 50lb Spectra in it and that will work well.

Mark Twain

Mandelstam

Quote from: Keta on April 20, 2013, 12:42:43 PM
There is hollow 50lb Dacron on your spool, put some 50lb Spectra in it and that will work well.

Thanks Lee!
"Fish," he said softly, aloud, "I'll stay with you until I am dead." - Santiago, Old Man And the Sea

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

the easiest and fastest so far when it comes to making your own assist hooks take a peek at this one;

also some have used a combination of solid rings split rings and swivels;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=CQEQclfSiaQ&feature=fvwp

Bucktail

I agree with Mel B.  I make mine exactly like the first link.  No reason to get any fancier than that.

And I have no clue what chandimaabu's post says. ;D  But nice pics. ;)
Just a jig-a-lo

Mandelstam

Yea thanks for the links!

:)