Avet question...Age?

Started by The Knife, January 24, 2010, 08:54:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Knife

Just hoping to get schooled on the Avets.
Ive been fishing Saltists and like them but after seeing the broken anti reverse post I'm considering an upgrade to Avet or Accurate.
I like to jig 300-400fow for cod and haddock BUT.... we have a fantastic tuna fisheie and I cant satay away from these fish.

I was looking at a AVET LX one speed. Seems to do the trick. I have found some older reels ( with the shark side plate and plastic handle) and wondered how they stack up against the newer reels. The price is right on these.Just wondering how to age these Avets and if they are comparable to the new ones

Im new to the AVET game and looking to learn before I make a purchase. However spring is almost here!

Also looking at Accurate 870 or 400 but they may be a bit pricy right now. Are the Avets a good comparison?

akfish

The older LX and JX Avets were good reels but many had suspect anti-reverses and bad bearings. Unless you get a very good deal and can spend some time with the reel (i.e., not buy it online sight unseen) I would stay way from the older models. The new LX's and JX's are much better reels. The one problem I have with these models (as well as the SX and HX) is that he handle binds with very much drag pressure. Still, if you fish with them with 40# or less they are OK.  I fish both Avets and Accurates and think Accurates are better reels although they do require more maintenance.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

The Knife

Awesome Thanks.  These are like new. Just tucked away

How old are the reels with the Shark?

akfish

I'm not sure when Avets first came out. But if your reels have "square" side plate rims they are the very oldest; if the rims are more rounded they are second generation -- but both have the suspect anti-reverses and bearings.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska