Penn Fathom 25n problem

Started by Reelz, April 20, 2013, 08:31:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reelz

So I hooked up on my first yellow with this reel and did something really weird. As soon as I got bit and put the lever on the ON position it seemed like the dog skipped for 3-5 seconds before then finally grabbing. After that everything else was ok. When I got back home I tested the reel by spinning it and putting in on the ON position and did the same thing. I opened it up and looked the the double dogs and no damage on it. But it looks like only one dog grabs at a time not both. It seems they are don't grab simultanously, rather than just one dog at a time. I checked my other reels by spinning them and putting them on the ON position and they all grab right away. I took a picture of it and will post it in a bit.

Heres a comparison of the dogs. Notice how the dogs on the fathom doesnt align properly compared to the dogs on the talica. I know theres a big price differnce but thats the only pics I have and have work on.

]

URL=http://s1103.photobucket.com/user/robertskrpic/media/IMAG0353.jpg.html]
[/url]

]

johndtuttle

Quote from: Reelz on April 20, 2013, 08:31:56 PM
So I hooked up on my first yellow with this reel and did something really weird. As soon as I got bit and put the lever on the ON position it seemed like the dog skipped for 3-5 seconds before then finally grabbing. After that everything else was ok. When I got back home I tested the reel by spinning it and putting in on the ON position and did the same thing. I opened it up and looked the the double dogs and no damage on it. But it looks like only one dog grabs at a time not both. It seems they are don't grab simultanously, rather than just one dog at a time. I checked my other reels by spinning them and putting them on the ON position and they all grab right away. I took a picture of it and will post it in a bit.

1. If the dogs are engaging at all it means your AR bearing is failing. It should be pulled and cleaned to restore it's function.

2. After that, the "ambassedeur" style dogs rarely instantly engage. Their performance can be improved by a slight bending of the "ears" on each dog to grip the ratchet gear better. As well, be sure they are free of all old grease. Penn said that light grease is fine, but really, oil like Corrosion-x is better as it never gets sticky like old grease does. Also, be sure the ratchet gear is dry and that the ears are gripping the ratchet after reassembly. See my post on the Torque 25N for how to replace them.

best

Reelz

I hope its not the AR bearings because its only been on 3 boat rides and practically new. The dogs did have alot of grease on them from the factory but I cleaned it and added some yamaha grease and oil on the dogs. I also bent the ears a bit but seems like it doesn't grab instantly when I spinned it.

johndtuttle

Quote from: Reelz on April 20, 2013, 09:30:44 PM
I hope its not the AR bearings because its only been on 3 boat rides and practically new. The dogs did have alot of grease on them from the factory but I cleaned it and added some yamaha grease and oil on the dogs. I also bent the ears a bit but seems like it doesn't grab instantly when I spinned it.

Have you tested the AR bearing for proper function?

Also, as above, they are a backup system not intended to be your primary anti-reverse. Their design is not instant.

best

Reelz

OIC thanks for clarifying the dogs I thought they would grab instantly. I did test the anti reverse and it seemed ok, but I will double check again. How did you get the AR bearing out? Did u use a long socket? I will open it up in a bit.

Also the reel works fine when I'm rock fishing when the drags are half way buttoned down. The problem only happens when I'm fly lining and fish takes line and put in on the ON position and it skips.

Reelz

I was able to get the AR bearing out and it grabs but slips at certain spots. Is this normal or its bad?

johndtuttle

Quote from: Reelz on April 20, 2013, 10:03:34 PM
I was able to get the AR bearing out and it grabs but slips at certain spots. Is this normal or its bad?

The AR bearing should never slip in the slightest with the exception of possibly when the drag is absolutely hammered down and it is under the heaviest load.

Not to worry, it's probably just excessive grease. Or, you let salt get in there. Can you take photos of it?

Soak it in a degreaser (wd-40, white vinegar, brake cleaner what have you). Let it completely dry, then lube only with a light oil like corrosion-x. All you need is a little.

Then retest it and report back.

Good luck, john

ps, if that simple fix doesn't do it then contact penn and they will probably send out a new AR for free.

Reelz

I just put everything back together. The skips are still there but better than before after cleaning the AR bearing. I just cleaned it. With a Q tip. I didn't soak it at all though. Maybe I should take it apart again it was easy anyways. I'll take pics of it, I'm just having trouble uploading zip files to my photobucket. But i'll do it as soon as I figure it out.

johndtuttle

Quote from: Reelz on April 20, 2013, 10:47:31 PM
I just put everything back together. The skips are still there but better than before after cleaning the AR bearing. I just cleaned it. With a Q tip. I didn't soak it at all though. Maybe I should take it apart again it was easy anyways. I'll take pics of it, I'm just having trouble uploading zip files to my photobucket. But i'll do it as soon as I figure it out.

You're on the right track. Just get all of the grease out of the bearing. Then just a little oil on the inside and outside of the "sleeve" that goes inside it.

best

Reelz

How long do u typically soak AR bearing for? I used brake cleaner BTW. I dont have corrosion x but I do have Oust met oil, shimano oil, tsi 301, and daiwa oil. I uploaded the AR bearing for you.

johndtuttle

Quote from: Reelz on April 20, 2013, 11:36:56 PM
How long do u typically soak AR bearing for? I used brake cleaner BTW. I dont have corrosion x but I do have Oust met oil, shimano oil, tsi 301, and daiwa oil. I uploaded the AR bearing for you.

If it is still shipping, clean it a little more (though it looks pretty clean). If it continues to slip then Penn may have to take a look at it.

You do not want a super fast oil in there (a tiny bit of the Daiwa stuff is fine) and just put a little on the sleeve.

For the dogs, just be sure when you replace the main gear and are ready to re-assemble that they are gripping the ratchet gear.

best

Reelz

I put everything back together and its still the same. Do you think it could be the pinion gear and the spool by any chance? Since they come apart from each other when going to ON and OFF position?

johndtuttle

Quote from: Reelz on April 21, 2013, 12:53:32 AM
I put everything back together and its still the same. Do you think it could be the pinion gear and the spool by any chance? Since they come apart from each other when going to ON and OFF position?

No, that would grind like crazy, they move quite a bit to disengage, it really is one or the other.

Try this: Put the AR bearing on it's sleeve before closing the reel and tell me if it slips?

Reelz

I just tried it and seems to work ok. For some reason I can feel it slipping when I turn it with my fingeres when AR bearing is out, but I don't feel it slipping when turned by handle.

johndtuttle

Great, put it back together and you sound like you are good to go.

These AR use plastic springs which should be quite reliable. But if they are over greased they can gum up and slip.

best