Daiwa Sealine SL175H

Started by The Irishman, April 22, 2013, 02:01:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Irishman

Hi Everybody,
This is my first ever post so here goes.......

I have a Daiwa Sealine SL175H that my parents bought me for my 11th birthday (back in 1989 in case you're wondering). It was my pride and joy but as I got into my teenage years my fishing became less frequent and it was largely unused until I moved to Sydney, Australia in 2006 where my passion was reignited.

So last year, on trip home, I dug it out of the attic and to my surprise it was in excellent condition. I did fish with it recently but was horrified at how badly the drag performed so I researched the issue and found that carbontex washers is the answer. So I studied up on how to fit the drag washers and replaced them with some carbontex ones that I made from Carbontex sheets that I got online. I am really happy with the drag now however because the carbontex washers are thinner than the originals, I can now turn the star cog so far that it is rubs against the body of the reel and I cannot turn it any further. Can anybody advise my how to overcome this issue please?

Also, would it be worth my while replacing the bushes with ball bearings on this reel? Or is it not worth it?

Thanks for reading.
Cheers,
Pete

Ron Jones

Many Diawa reels use a gear sleeve similar to Penns. If this is the case with yours any of the spacers sold for an appropriate reel will fix your tension issue.

You've opened Pandora's box with the bearing question.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

alantani

stainess steel shim washers will do the trick.  you could also add back one of the original washer to just use as a spacer.  it actually would work.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bigfish

Without wishing to offend,I would suggest that your money would be better spent on better quality reel.Budget models are never going to be value for money as a long term investment.

Bryan Young

Pardon?  I have a lot of cheaper reels, and I catch just as much fish than the guy next to me fishing those $400+ reels.  It's knowing limitations and quirks of the reel is really where it counts...then it's luck and then skill in bringing in the fish.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

The Irishman

Quote from: alantani on April 22, 2013, 03:03:00 PM
stainess steel shim washers will do the trick.  you could also add back one of the original washer to just use as a spacer.  it actually would work.

Looks like I'll go for the shim washers. I've already thrown out the originals. They were actually quite brittle and 2 of them snaped when I was (carefully) handling them.

Quote from: Bigfish on April 22, 2013, 05:56:29 PM
Without wishing to offend,I would suggest that your money would be better spent on better quality reel.Budget models are never going to be value for money as a long term investment.

LOL!!! You should have told my parents that back in 1989!
This reel is now priceless to me and I have so many happy memories associated with it. So whatever I spend on modding it is well worth it as this reel is worth a lot more than the sum of all its parts.

The Irishman

Quote from: Bryan Young on April 23, 2013, 01:41:58 AM
Pardon?  I have a lot of cheaper reels, and I catch just as much fish than the guy next to me fishing those $400+ reels.  It's knowing limitations and quirks of the reel is really where it counts...then it's luck and then skill in bringing in the fish.

Agreed. Now for the luck bit...........

Ron Jones

I used to help teach a fishing class on the Olympic Peninsula. The instructor was quite a fisherman who always seemed to be lucky. He had one rule..."Fish only where there is fish". Always worked for us.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

slgriffiths

Quote from: noyb72 on April 23, 2013, 04:21:30 AM
"Fish only where there is fish"

And the way you find that out is to fish there...

Pete, a reel that you love, and want to go fish with is so much more valuable than an expensive reel that you think you should have because it was expensive, or that someone told you you should have.  This site is absolutely chokka with people who have spent more money on reels that technically don't deserve it.  Me included.
Enjoy your reel - give it the drags that it deserves - buy new washers to bring the drag to where it should be.  The cost is miniscule compared to the satisfaction you will get. That reel and you have history!

As for the bearing issue - it's a big question, but I'd recommend you stay with it as it is. Bushes work very well, and have worked very well for years.  Stick with them.

As for cheap vs expensive - well, the fish on the other end simply doesn't care!  Get it working as well as it can, use it within it's limits, and go slay 'em!

Simon

alantani

old school.  nothing wrong with that! 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!