Pro Gear 255 gear preferred gear Ratio 4:1 or 5:1

Started by LuckyFish, April 25, 2013, 07:08:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LuckyFish

Hi All,

I've been fortunate enough to pickup 2 PG255 reels in really good condition. As far as I can tell they have stock internals and come with a 5:1 gear ratio. I plan on using these reels this year to fish 20# & 25# topshots to schoolie BFT & YFT out of San Diego. I have the Penn 500 4:1 set as well as the Taller Newell S/S 5:1 set and ordered a 5:1 from Blackpearl. The stock gears in one of the reels is pretty worn and will be replaced anyway.
Any thoughts on which ratio you have fished/preferred in these awesome little reels?

Thanks - David

Bryan Young

Quote from: LuckyFish on April 25, 2013, 07:08:41 PM
Hi All,

I've been fortunate enough to pickup 2 PG255 reels in really good condition. As far as I can tell they have stock internals and come with a 5:1 gear ratio. I plan on using these reels this year to fish 20# & 25# topshots to schoolie BFT & YFT out of San Diego. I have the Penn 500 4:1 set as well as the Taller Newell S/S 5:1 set and ordered a 5:1 from Blackpearl. The stock gears in one of the reels is pretty worn and will be replaced anyway.
Any thoughts on which ratio you have fished/preferred in these awesome little reels?

Thanks - David
First, how in the world were you able to find 2 PG255s?  Talking about SCORE!!!

Now for your question, I would probably have a 4:1 in one and 5:1 in the other.  The 4:1 would be better if you are soaking bait.  The 5:1 would be better for yoyo, plugging, swimbait,...
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

LuckyFish

LOL - Thanks Bryan!

Yes, it did take me a while to find them but they are still around if you look hard enough!
I've added the S/S Gear sleeve from Alan and the Penn 24-56 handle to crank a bit better so I may opt for the 4:1 in both. Guess I'll just need to Fish'em in both variations to be sure! ;-)
Thanks for your input!

David

Bryan Young

And if you are still as lucky as you seem, you may still find some good steel Penn 500/501 gear sets from some used reels. 
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

john2244

The Progear 255 is one of my favorite reels.  I have the 4.0:1 gear set in all but one reel.

John

Bobsled 55

Quote from: LuckyFish on April 25, 2013, 08:14:45 PM
I've added the S/S Gear sleeve from Alan and the Penn 24-56 handle to crank a bit better so I may opt for the 4:1 in both.

David

Cool, I'll have to check that out!!