Penn 9/0 115

Started by fishingsarasota, April 28, 2013, 10:47:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishingsarasota

Hey guys, I've been a long time lurker and reader of tutorials and came across a problem today while rebuilding a friends 115. Just some background on the reel, I'm not sure how old it is but it has the capped bearings (not the nut style), a red handle, chromed brass spool, and a steel main gear. When he bought it, there was some gear noise. After a thorough cleaning Alan style, including a bearing pack since we use these reels to kayak baits off the beaches, I checked all of the components. Neither the main or pinion gear showed showed much, if any, wear. Once I put it back together the gear noise persists. Any ideas on what it could be? I've heard the steel gears aren't as smooth as brass for a couple reasons, but they shouldn't be as loud as they are..

Thanks!

Keta

Did you grease the gears?
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

fishingsarasota

Yes sir, I did. I am a fan of Super Lube by the way.

fishingsarasota

Also if it helps at all, I have cleaned a few of these reels, but all have been 115l's with brass gears or the China made 115L2's.

Keta

The steel gears will be louder than the brass main gear.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

fishingsarasota

Rebuilt it again to save my sanity during finals week. Still has an almost whirring sound when reeled. Everything is in place, as it should be and the reel functions fine, with the exception of the noise.

alantani

it does not take much wear for these gears to start getting noisy. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

broadway

FS,
    Stick with the steel gear (if you're willing to open her regularly)... it's louder but stronger. Also, make sure you have a nice amount of grease or else :o
It's naturally going to rust and wear worse than the pinion as the pinion is stainless, but with plenty of grease on the main and pinion I haven't had a problem with mine for 2 years.
I bought about 5 steel main gears for $14 a piece about 2 years ago due to the shortage of stainless gears and the fact that I can maintain them myself (thanks to our chairman, Alan and some other A-team members) . It balanced the cost of the 5 sets of accurates for $80  :'(
PS- When I got a screamer on I can't hear the gears over my heartbeat ;)
Dom

fishingsarasota

Sounds good, thanks for the responses guys. The steel gear makes me think of going the monster 9/0 route with double dogs, stainless sleeve, etc. By the way, I have seen a lack of a 115 breakdown on the site and will make an attempt at putting one together once I get home from finals.

broadway

They would all be nice upgrades but a Pete Kolekar or other quality handle is a definite if you're hoisting decent fish.
Dom

fishingsarasota

This was my last 9/0 bull..   ;D

Alto Mare

Very nice Fishingsarasota, thanks for showing what these reels can do.
How much did it weight?
Sal

By the way, which one are you in the picture.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Bryan Young

Wow, that's a big shark
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

broadway

Wow! I would like to know what beach you're fishing... so I don't go swimming there not to steal your spot ;D
Yeah, I would say you may wanna upgrade a bit ;)
Impressive fish and notoriously angry, too.
Stay safe
Dom

Keta

Mark Twain