Hopefully joining the Pro Gear family soon

Started by seriola_killer, April 29, 2013, 11:49:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seriola_killer

Hey all!  I am about the pull the trigger on a yellowtail special Pro Gear.  I figured since I've owned just about every make of reel (other than PG) I'd give them a shot.  I was previously concerned why PG went under.  Quality?  Bad business plan?  I don't really know why they went under, but that was my main concern... until I went down to see Ken Corwin.  He absolutely loves the PG's and pretty much uses them exclusively unless cow fishing is on the agenda.

Now, I've hotrodded a few 112's and 113's replacing with stainless steel, tiburon frames, etc.  Looking for input as to whether this is necessary on the PG's.  Ken said he goes with the stock stuff instead of stainless, and that his perform flawlessly.

Anyway, any input would be appreciated.  I'm seeing some deals to be had out there on these reels.  And one final question:  Has there been any effort to resurrect this reel company?  I'd be curious as to why they went out of business, especially since they are such highly regarded reels.
Jerry

john2244

Hello Jerry,

I doubt anyone has caught more fish on a Pro Gear reel than Ken. I have seen him and others catch many YFT from 40# to 80#'s and a few near 100# on a PG 545.  I have several PG reels and the only change I make to them is to put in lower gears for LIVE BAIT fishing. With my PG 545's I replace the 4.0:1 gears with 3.25 gears and in my PG 255's I replace the 5.0 gears with 4.0 gears. All of the gear changes I have made to my PG reels has been with brass gears.  If you are using your PG 454 for yo yo fishing for yellowtail the stock gears will be fine. If you are going to use it for LIVE BAIT fishing you may want to consider a lower gear set.

John

seriola_killer

Right on. How big is the 454? Like a 113 narrowed? And what sort of drag can be expected on it?
Jerry

Bryan Young

Hi Jerry,

The PG454 is the older version of the PG Yellowtail Special.  The PG Yellowtail Specials came in aluminum or gun metal where the PG454 have a rainbow of colors.

Well, word has it that ProGear wanted to get into the lever drag market and that went south.  They produced a great lever drag reel, but at that time, there was a lot more competition that was already in the business, and essentially took up too much resources to continue the venture.  It's sad because their star drag reels are awesome.  From their older stuff, to the newer Albacore Specials and CS lines.  PG is still around on eBay under SoCalFishing and he still has replacement parts for the newer stuff, that can also be found at Ken's

And welcome to the ProGear Family.

Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

seriola_killer

Bryan, can you provide a link to that ebay store. I did a store search and can't find him. Thanks.
Jerry

seriola_killer

Never mind, i found it. On another topic, is there a way to figure out all these different models in any sort of logical manner? Or better yet, is there a model that is the equivalent of a 112h narrow with 4/0 size gears? Thanks guys!
Jerry

Bryan Young

Hi Jerry,

Narrow 112h. Well, the pg545 is the size as a 2/0 reel with 4/0 guts where the pg541 is about the same size as a 3/0 with 4/0 guts.

Is this what you are looking for?

Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

john2244

Bryan,

I think you have a typo.  The PG 541 and 545  use the same 4/0 gear set.
John

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

i have 3 PGs and you won't be disappointed...

Bryan Young

Quote from: john2244 on April 30, 2013, 06:44:13 AM
Bryan,

I think you have a typo.  The PG 541 and 545  use the same 4/0 gear set.
John
Hi John,
Just saw it and corrected it.  big hands, little iPhone.
Bryan

Oh, and I forgot to respond to the PG454 question.  Yes, it's the size of a narrow 4/0.  PG440 is like a 113H, and PG441 is like a 113HLW