calcutta 700s

Started by fastfishin85, April 30, 2013, 07:15:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fastfishin85

I acquired this reel from a friend who owned it since it was new but never broke it down to clean,just rinsed with fresh water after each time he used it.i noticed there is a very light resistance in the handle when in gear and turning it,so I broke it down totally cleaned everything,regreased,oiled,the works.everything works great,push button for freespool works good,pops back effortlessly when you turn the handle,no grinding noises,put line on it and it throws great but that slight resistance is still there when turning the handle,its enough to slow the handle down when spinning it,anyone have any ideas,much appreciated

Bryan Young

gear shaft bearing, AR Bearing and eared AR pawl would be my guess.  Mine usually does not spin very long because I normally pack the bear shaft bearing and that slows down the handle quite a bit.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

fastfishin85

thanks bryan,so you mean the ar bearing is bad,i did see that the anti reverse gear under the main gearwas a lil worn on the edges of it if that makes any since,also the reel only does this when together,if you take the right side off and just stick the spool in and reel that way its smooth as butter but as soon as its all back together the the resistance happens,what would be your opinion on fixing it if you don't mind me asking,thanks again

Bryan Young

I mean that there are contributing devices that will slow down the handle from spinning.  Each will add a little resistance, but the biggest would have to be the gear shaft bearing at the base where it is held in the frame of the reel.  I pack that with grease, and therefore, will naturally slow down the handle from spinning freely.  Many times, they are lightly oiled, but are then prone to more frequent failures.  That is why I grease them.

I cannot recall, does this reel's line guide stop when the reel is in free spool?  If not, there are a lot of gears and stuff to move the line guide and will slow down the spool quite a bit.  You may want to check the spool tention knob on the right side plate.  This should be loose enough were the spool moves side to side extremely little...about the distance of the thickness of a piece of paper or two.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

fastfishin85

ya the tension knob is good,i also removed the white gear in the left side plate(plastic gear)that rides on the metal gear to see if maybe it was something to do with the levelwind and still the same issue after putting reel back together and reeling in without levelwind even engaging,the bearing seems to be fine that the shaft goes through,i didn't  pack it with grease just cleaned and oiled,but I think I will goe ahead and pack it as it has nothing to do with the casting,the only thing that I could personally see that looked bad is that slightly worn anti reverse gear under the main gear,definatley has me scratching my head

Bryan Young

The rachet wouldn't do it. Did you clean out the pinion gear. A lot of times, crud builds up in the gear and sticks to the spool shaft.

Fishnmike

Not sure, depends on what you consider a slight resistance.  I have 2 700's that I use for sturgeon and shark fishing.  Nice smooth reels that cast well and have a lot of power.  Neither of them allow a lot of handle spin.