Shimano Curado CU-200 older green reel

Started by GeorgeN, May 01, 2013, 01:35:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GeorgeN

My friend brought me two older Curados used in fresh water only.  One of them is his favorite crank-bait reel, a CU-200 and it makes rattling noise when he casts it and sometimes when he casts it makes a gear noise as if it is not totally out of gear, usually when the drag is adjusted a little tight.  I am hoping a good cleaning, lubing and yearly service will do the trick.  If anyone is experienced with these old green 200's and have experienced these symptoms that turned out to be something other than clean, lube type problems maybe you can give me a few hints as to what I should be looking for on the pinion/drive gear, drag side of the reel.  I think the reel is probably an early '90s model and I know he has never had the thing serviced. :o

He also brought me a CU-200BSF, also an older greenie, but it seems to just need a standard cleaning and lube from what I can tell initially.

Thanks, George Santee, CA :)

Zimbass

Hi George,

These are superb reels, but if they have never been cleaned, they will need it now.

The rattle you mention is most likely the line guard that can be lose. The silver bar that runs across the back of the thumb rest. Hold it with your thumb whilst shaking the reel and see if it goes away.

The gear noise is a little more serious. Could be the clutch pawl is worn. You need to examine this visually and see if the edge that contacts the anti reverse ratchet is worn down. It could also be that the springs that push down on the clutch cam have lost some compression so the cam is not seating fully. Pull the springs gently to make them a little stronger, and see if that helps.
Never was so much owed by so many to so few.

GeorgeN

Thanks so much I will be taking the reel down today and I will pay close attention to these parts and springs

George  :)  I will post back and reveal what I find

Pro Reel

George, on a side note, look very close at the brake hub, specifically the black plastic area at the base of the steel pins. The majority of those are now cracking there and that lets the steelpin get loose and slide out where it rubs the braje ring and makes a big screech as it grinds into the brass. You have to replace the spool and i know where you can still get some if you need them. They are very scarce now.

GeorgeN

Thanks for the heads up.  I did a complete clean and lube service on both reels.  The CU-200 quieted down quite a bit.  The Cu-200BSF was like new inside.  The owner will be fishing both reels this weekend and I told him to lay heavy on the CU-200 to see if the problems are solved.  He uses it to throw crank baits so I'll know next week if the service did the trick.  If not I will inspect the reel a little closer.  Shimano gave a a contact in Texas that has a lot of older Curado parts on hand. Satellite Service Center (214) 630-8161  :)