Avet sx 5.3 issue

Started by Fish-aholic, May 01, 2013, 10:00:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fish-aholic

Hi guys, I've got a little issue with a friends avet sx that I hope you can be of help to diagnose?

I've removed the spool bearings shields, cleaned with brake cleaner, checked both bearings by putting pressure on the inside races and rotating. Both feel perfectly fine without any roughness felt. I lubed with TSI 321 and assembled the reel. It freespools great.

Now the issue I have is there's a rather noticable rumbling audio when the reel it tilted to the left. Rumbling is noticable when the reel is level but to a lesser extent. When tilted to the right, the rumbling ceases. My diagnosis is the left spool bearing is the culprit? My thoughts are, when the left spool bearing is greased, and the reel has had excessive drag use beyond spec', I believe the grease would mask the rumbling issue found when reel is tilted during freespool. The thin oil used amplifies the rumbling.

Just wondering/wanting confirmation on whether my thoughts are on the correct trail? I don't want to order the wrong bearing without having some added input from you guys first.  ;D

Thanks in advance!

Fish

alantani

bad left spool bearing.  or the bearing cup in the left spool was cut too large. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Fish-aholic

Thanks for the speedy reply, Alan! I'll check the bearing cup.  ;)

Fish-aholic

Checked the bearing cup this morning and there isn't any slop there. Going to order a left spool bearing.

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Fish-aholic

I checked the left spool bearing after cleaning it and I couldn't feel any roughness at all. It feels smooth when rotating the inner race with my finger (checked both sides). Said bearing hasn't suffered from any corrosion, either. The spool spins very well, but when I tilt the reel to the left it rumbles and the spin time drops.  :-\

Oh well, I've ordered a new set of spool bearings and a pinion bearing. Time will tell.