Penn 500 ?

Started by Black Widow Tackle, May 01, 2013, 10:56:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Black Widow Tackle

With my jigmaster 500 what can I convert it too with a frame and spool change?  Thanks!

Bryan Young

Penn 501 or Penn 99 as far as I know.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Ron Jones

This is a couple months old but you can also look around and find a Newell yellowfin special kit from time to time. It is a wide 500. I don't know how the yellow Fin is on a 500 and the yellow Tail in on the 4/0, but that is how Carl named them.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

erikpowell

ok, i finally gotta ask a dumb question....
i've never heard what the difference is between a 500 jig master and a 99 ....(jig master??)
Bryan, lemme hear it   ;D

Ron Jones

The Pen 99 SilverBeach is a slow reel (surfmaster I think?) that is the same diameter as the Jigmaster but it's width is between the 500 and 501. You can take a 500/501 right side plate and bolt it to a Silver Beach and end up with an intermediate width Jigmaster that most call an "Albacore Special." Basically a 501 lacks adequate capacity for albacore fishing with straight mono and a 500 is a bit bigger than most want so the 99 solution is nice. The jigmaster is faster and as better drags than the 99.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"