Boss 270 Single Speed Help

Started by smwann, May 02, 2013, 03:33:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

smwann

Hello guys,
I have come to seek the advice of the GURUS on this forum.  I have a boss 270 single speed, which I have had for about four years, and just recently it has stopped free spooling.  When I release the drag lever (drop it all the way down) it doesn't free spool and actually spins whith the handle (with a little pressure still).  I took it apart cleaned and re-greased and it didn't really help at all.  What could the issue be? Bearings?  Why is the drag feeling like it is still engaged (a little)?  Do the drag washers need to be replaced?  Where can I buy the replacement parts if so? 

Please forgive me if I completely missed vital information needed to help diagnose, I am "newbie in this area.

Thanks in advance,
Steve

alantani

chances are the spool bearings are rusted to the spool shaft.  try cleaning up both again, or better yet replace both bearings.  it should work.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

smwann

Alan,
I kind of figured it was the bearings.  I pulled them out completely  and cleaned them but did not actually open them up.  Can you point in the direction where can I pick up the bearings for it? 

Is there a certain/recommend size or brand?

thanks again for the help.

alantani

can remember what size, but the are likely rough.  you can get replacements from smoothdrag.com.  anybody know the size of the spool bearings offhand?
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

day0ne

The tolerances on the 270 are so close that I have found that too much grease on the bottom of the main gear will cause the spool to spin when the handle is turned in freespool and lessen the freespool. If you are seeing grease on the black plastic drag cover, there is probably too much on the main gear
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

smwann

I am pretty sure I dont have too much grease but I will surely verify. 

Thanks for the replies guys.

smwann

Bearings ordered from smoothdrag worked like a charm.  Woman was very helpful and I appreciate the help from you guys.
Thanks,
Steve

johndtuttle

Quote from: smwann on May 05, 2013, 05:17:44 PM
Bearings ordered from smoothdrag worked like a charm.  Woman was very helpful and I appreciate the help from you guys.
Thanks,
Steve

Glad it worked out for you!

best