strange Noise in record 50

Started by jlezama, May 02, 2013, 08:24:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jlezama

Hi All
       I got a record 50 from ebay today (used), took it out of the package and noticed a strange noise after I gave the handle a spin and stopped it... spool and line guide did not stop making this "cranking gear" sound while going. Opened it up and all the parts seemed in place. Took it almost completely apart and put it together and the noise and spool inertia kept going.
I took the whole right hand side off and spun the handle and the pinion gear seem jotting too much compared to my ambassadeur C3 almost as if the gears were not engaging, tried swaping the bridge to see if the insert might have been too loose for the pinion gear without success... has anyone run into this before? or is it something inherent from the record reels?
Thanks in advance
Juan

Ken_D

Sounds like someone has diddled with your spool, and removed the one-way bearing in it. Or the one way has been destroyed by the clown/s who owned it before you bought it.

Check by removing the transmission side of the reel, and 'twirling' the axle in the spool in both directions.
If it is free to spin in both directions, the one way brg is either gone, or wrecked. Spin axle with vigour, both ways, in case the one way is half-functioning, by spinning inside the spool, instead of being firm, like the one way bearing up in the handle boss.

Also check the orientation of the  6-pack puck weight system. It can be put on the reel upside down.
If you see a number on one of the arms, then the weight system is on the reel upside down. The number is not supposed to be seen.  

jlezama

Thanks for your reply Ken
              I did not know that the spool had a one way bearing. I did check it and it does spin in only one direction so I guess the spool bearing is working. One thing I noticed is that the pinion gear (without the spool and fully assembled) doesn't seem to engage properly. When I spin or turn the handle, the pinion gear spins but it makes a rattling sound almost like the is somehow not engaging the main gear. Just opened up my C3 and repeated the same experiment but in this case the I did not notice any rattling sound and pinion gear seems engaged. Any more thoughts? Thanks in advance!
Juan

Ken_D

Rodger that, Juan... check to ensure the little bronze shim is underneath the driveshaft, on the post, and the fingers of the position holder are not out of alignment or broken, and that the e-clip on top of the driveshaft holding it to the brake plate post is in place. If they are there, and tigs are stil awry, proceed to the next steps which see:

It's possible to see things in operation by leaving the transmission on the reel, with the star, handle, and sideplate removed.

Remove the star and handle. remove the two screws holding down the sideplate to the brake plate. Loosen the three outside thumbscrews on the sideplate. Place thumbnail, between the brake plate and the sideplate, and remove the sideplate. You can now hold the brake plate steady and push the thumb bar down, and see the works work. You can spin the spool and gear train, because they are still on the reel.  You can flip the reel, to reel mode, and observe the pinion fall into position.

Rarely, the thumb bar pin is malfunctioning, so place the reel into cast mode, then make sure the pin on the thumb bar fits correctly into the little crescent slot on the brake plate, before you do the major testing.

jlezama

Thanks a lot for the suggestions ken, now I can see the problem: the bridge actually goes upwards when stopping the main gear disengaging the pinion from the spool; the noise comes from the disengaged pinion gear slots and the pins on the inside of the brake system hitting against it... see pics attached of before and after spinning main gear. Don't know how to solve it though... any more suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Oh and of course keeping the bridge from going upwards with slight pressure actually helps but I can keep my fingers there forever :P
Thanks in advance!
Juan

Before spinning main gear (notice position of bridge)

After spinning of gear and stopping (see gap from bridge pulled upwards and pinion slightly offset from position)

Ken_D

Hi, J... from here, it looks like the position holder's fingers are out of adjustment. It's a non-spendy part.
~~Carefully~~ remove the holder from your C3, and try it on the Record.

We are at the point where long-distance suggestions are running out. A fellow needs the reel in hand from here on out, to be at one with the innards.  Perhaps another reader of the thread has some ideas, too.

I can't tell from the pics, if the pinion is clear of the spool, when you place the reel in cast mode, so the spool spins proud of the pinion. If it's not, then there's something not assembled correctly from the clutch arm to the pinion yoke. The ramps underneath the yoke are cut steep enough on the rake that lets the pinion clear the spool, when things are running correctly.

Check the pinion yoke again....rarely, the pinion gear chews out the bottom of the unit, changing clearances so the pinion is in a lower position all the time, because the yoke's bottom is thinned out from chew.  Did you notice any bits of yoke anywhere in the reel? Maybe the other guy cleaned it all out.

You have the advantage of another reel of the same familiy, so you can keep changing parts over reel to reels, and see if there's a bad parts in the chain.

Just keep the gears as a set as you move parts from one reel to the next.

alantani

Quote from: jlezama on May 02, 2013, 08:24:11 AM
Hi All
       I got a record 50 from ebay today (used), took it out of the package and noticed a strange noise after I gave the handle a spin and stopped it... spool and line guide did not stop making this "cranking gear" sound while going. Opened it up and all the parts seemed in place. Took it almost completely apart and put it together and the noise and spool inertia kept going.  Juan

isn't that normal?
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Ken_D

Quote from: alantani on May 05, 2013, 03:37:38 AM
Quote from: jlezama on May 02, 2013, 08:24:11 AM
Hi All
       I got a record 50 from ebay today (used), took it out of the package and noticed a strange noise after I gave the handle a spin and stopped it... spool and line guide did not stop making this "cranking gear" sound while going. Opened it up and all the parts seemed in place. Took it almost completely apart and put it together and the noise and spool inertia kept going.  Juan

isn't that normal?

Hi, Alan....not with the one way brg in the spool.... it stops rotation of the spool if it's stalled like he's done.