E-series 270 drag issue

Started by sinkerswim, May 02, 2013, 01:05:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sinkerswim

Hi guys,

Did a seasonal breakdown of my buddies E-series 270. Reassembled and the drag is causing me fits. My friend claims this reel never did this. But, now it does. With the adjustment knob almost completely backed off the drag barely grabs until it gets to the black stop forward button. Depressing the button and going forward the drag grabs  and the further out not even to the end the reel loses freespool. There is no gradual adjustment room.

I first thought that thetension cam track went in wrong, there are little shoulders cut in it which must align in it's proper area, checked that, it's ok. The cam appears to sit fine when fully assembled and isn't floppy or loose when in free. I have pretty much lost any fine tune adjustment. And, can't figure out why.

Anybody?

alantani

not sure what's going on, but first make sure the spool shaft it super clean and slick and that everything slides on it. you don't want anything stuck on the spool shaft.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

sinkerswim

Pulled it apart again.

Yes, Alan the shaft is smooth and clean. It seems when in free, all the way backed off the cam doesn't go all the way back into it's sideplate hole. Making me think that perhaps a spacing washer or two is missing. But, all the parts that came out went back into where they came from. So, I can't understand my friend's claim that the reel never did this.

Great freespool when in free. Very little grab of the drag when adjusted ever so slightly maybe a 1/ 16 of a turn to the knurled cam adjustment and the lever moved forward to the "strike" position. By adding another 1/16 of a turn the drag begins to grab but too much. So much so, that it almost locks down. There isn't much room for adjustment. Not what I've seen in other accurates which have a broad range of almost infinite adjustment room. I just can't figure this out.

Bryan Young

make sure that the AccuCast control knob is backed off and try gain.  I have found that the use of the AccuCast control knob drastically affects how the normal drag of the reel performs.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

try doing this, http://www.accuratefishing.com/support/bosssupport.php and then click Boss E-Series Full/Short Throw Conversion and follow instructions. good luck!