YellowTail Special

Started by SoCalAngler, May 03, 2013, 10:54:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SoCalAngler

I'm looking at picking up a PG454C-6. Is there something I should look for and the gearing is a little fast for what I want. Can I get different gearing at a decent price, or am I stuck with as is? Stainless gears a bit slower would be the reel I'm looking for. Any input would be welcomed.

Bryan Young

Quote from: SoCalAngler on May 03, 2013, 10:54:26 PM
I'm looking at picking up a PG454C-6. Is there something I should look for and the gearing is a little fast for what I want. Can I get different gearing at a decent price, or am I stuck with as is? Stainless gears a bit slower would be the reel I'm looking for. Any input would be welcomed.
This reel comes with ProGear's 4:1 gear set.  If you want to go slower, you could go with a Penn 113H gear set.  That's basically the gearing options for  this reel.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

SoCalAngler

Thanks Bryan,
I thought the -6 ment 6/1, a 4/1 would be great for what I'm looking for. Would you happen to know if they came stock with stainless gears?

Bryan Young

The gears are magnesium bronze I believe. I've heard that they are special cut for added strength. I love those reels, and decided to get the yellow tail special instead because most of the 454 don't have clickers.

Service just like a Penn 113H.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

SoCalAngler

What do you think a fair price would for a NIB YTS never fished yet? The reel has not even had the posts for the reel clamp put on.

Bryan Young

Well, I don't know what the going rate is, but 5 years ago, I got one NIB for $225 plus shipping.

SoCalAngler

Bryan thanks for your help. Well I grabbed the YTS and after doing a little research and think I got it for a pretty good price. After opening it up to do a prefishing service this is what I found.

A 5 drag stack...nice.