ABU Record 61 quick question

Started by Propster, May 04, 2013, 04:59:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Propster

Is the pinion gear on this reel supposed to be free on the spool shaft or "locked" to the shaft? Working on one for a friend and this one is locked. I'm thinking it is seized onto the shaft (not sure why it would be locked purposely) but I've seen weirder designs. If seized, what is best way to loosen it without harming shaft or gear? Thanks.

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

i have the 60 and it should be free, look at this tutorial on the 60;

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=27.0

Propster

Took a short piece of heavy plastic tubing and fit it over the pinion and held it with a pliers, then tapped the shaft out. Polished it up and works like a charm.

alantani

consider replacing the bearing if it is rough at all. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Propster

Which bearing are you referring to Alan? It's a little on the loud side but it sounds more like the gears not meshing very well. The spool bearings on either end of the spool and under the cast control cap are really smooth, and of course I can't see the one inside the spool but it feels great too. And I did replace the AR bearing as it was slipping. Can't believe for that reel and several others they don't offer just the bearing, you have to buy the whole sideplate with the bearing pressed in.

alantani

sorry, wrong reel.  i was thinking of the pinion support bearing in the daiwa and shimano reels.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B