505HS question

Started by bigtoy83, May 05, 2013, 06:35:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigtoy83

I tore my 505 apart because the handle seem to have alot of play in it. What causes excessive play in the handle?  also it calls for a 4-60 washer under the main gear should i use that one or is there something better?

Norcal Pescador

Put a greased 6-60 or a 6-155 under the main gear in place of the 4-60.  Play is just designed or built-in loose tolerance. Is the handle play back and forth or wobble-type play? For back and forth, all you can do is double-dog it with alternating engaging dogs; for wobble play you can make shims to go under the gear sleeve. Beer or soda cans work, or someone found shim washers with peelable layers at McMaster-Carr. Just don't make the shim too thick or you'll have binding / friction.
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Keta

Or the end of the gearsleeve is distorted where it goes into the handle and you need to replace it, preferably with a SS one.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

bluefish69

You might as well add the S S Dog to match the Brigde Sleeve.
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Alto Mare

Quote from: Norcal Pescador on May 05, 2013, 07:08:23 PM
someone found shim washers with peelable layers at McMaster-Carr.
That was me, but for the 113H  ;D.

The last ss sleeves I received from Alan had two holes drilled, about 1/16" from each other in height.
That is a much better option than a washer, but I'm not sure he could get it done to  all.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

BMITCH

Up grade, if possible to the SS gear sleeve and replace the washer under the main gear with a cf type. That's the number one update to these penn's here. It works great and if you do it the reel is that much better for it.good luck.

Bob
luck is the residue of design.

Bryan Young

Quote from: BMITCH on May 06, 2013, 12:10:39 PM
Up grade, if possible to the SS gear sleeve and replace the washer under the main gear with a cf type. That's the number one update to these penn's here. It works great and if you do it the reel is that much better for it.good luck.

Bob
You may need new gears as well. I recently shimmed 3 reels and each needed new gear sets unless you didn't mind fishing with noisy gears.

Pay attention to your reels and if something doesn't feel right, then pull another reel to fish with.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

akfish

The 505 is a great reel -- on paper at least. The problem I have with them is that the teeth on the gears are so small than they shred very easily. I can't remember **ever** getting one in the shop that didn't need new gears. Hot rodding that reel with a SS gear sleeve and CF under the main gear will give you more drag, but it will also drastically reduce the life of the gears. Now, if you could also get an aluminum frame you'd have quite a reel, albeit an expensive one...
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Joel.B

Quote from: akfish on May 06, 2013, 05:31:51 PM
The 505 is a great reel -- on paper at least. The problem I have with them is that the teeth on the gears are so small than they shred very easily. I can't remember **ever** getting one in the shop that didn't need new gears. Hot rodding that reel with a SS gear sleeve and CF under the main gear will give you more drag, but it will also drastically reduce the life of the gears. Now, if you could also get an aluminum frame you'd have quite a reel, albeit an expensive one...

Were the Pro-Gear 5:1 gears and better/stronger?   

Bryan Young

From what I have heard, the PG 255/251 5:1 gears were designed to be stronger than the Penn 505/506 gears. I'm not sure if it was the design or the material or both.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

SNAPPERHEAD

Quote from: Bryan Young on May 09, 2013, 01:07:37 PM
From what I have heard, the PG 255/251 5:1 gears were designed to be stronger than the Penn 505/506 gears. I'm not sure if it was the design or the material or both.

There gears are stronger. They used a different maganese-bronze than penn does. Indefinetly a better quality one at that. SS is obviously better than the other two.

SNAPPERHEAD