Shimano TLD Questions??? 25 or 30

Started by sebastian_garcia, May 05, 2013, 07:24:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sebastian_garcia

Hi, i have one Tld 25 and i liked alot.
I mainly fish for Pacific Sailfish, Dorado and many others, I do not disregard maybe someday a Marlin around 250 Pounds that the average Marlins on area

If i have to buy another reel, what well be the benefits between tld 25 or 30 or a narrow 20 single or two speed?

Does tld two speed, doesnt need to be upgraded?

Single speed with Carbontex, belivelles, power handle etc cost aroun $250
Two speed out off box almost ready to fish cost 300 and is a faster reel

What will be your point off view? and the best option.

Thanks alot
Sebastian

day0ne

The 20 single speed and the 25 are the same reel. The only difference is the 25 is wider. The same applies to the 20 II and the 30, so the first thing you need to decide is how much line do you need. I prefer the 20 for less weight, less side to side rocking, etc, if I don't need a lot of line. I have all four but mostly use the 2 speed reels. I believe Alan has stated that the single speeds are too expensive once upgraded, though all of mine are, since I got them cheap. You should be able to get the 2 speed's for less than $300. The only neccessary upgrade on the 2 speeds IMO is a longer handle. The wider ones have been known to split a frame when used in a harness, so all of mine have been upgraded to topless Tiburon frames. Other possible upgrades are bigger drag plates and free spinning bearings. There are some TLD II's on Bloody Decks that are already upgraded with Willfish frames for sale right now
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

SoCalAngler

Don't fish over around 19lbs of drag if you do not go with a aftermarket machined frame.

sebastian_garcia

Quote from: day0ne on May 05, 2013, 08:51:48 PM
The 20 single speed and the 25 are the same reel. The only difference is the 25 is wider. The same applies to the 20 II and the 30, so the first thing you need to decide is how much line do you need. I prefer the 20 for less weight, less side to side rocking, etc, if I don't need a lot of line. I have all four but mostly use the 2 speed reels. I believe Alan has stated that the single speeds are too expensive once upgraded, though all of mine are, since I got them cheap. You should be able to get the 2 speed's for less than $300. The only neccessary upgrade on the 2 speeds IMO is a longer handle. The wider ones have been known to split a frame when used in a harness, so all of mine have been upgraded to topless Tiburon frames. Other possible upgrades are bigger drag plates and free spinning bearings. There are some TLD II's on Bloody Decks that are already upgraded with Willfish frames for sale right now

Thanks for answer, i dindnt know if i want the 20 or 30 if i buy the 20 i will have to put some spectra to gaing line capacity but with the 30 i will go with straight mono, at most i will use 12# drag setting

sebastian_garcia

Quote from: SoCalAngler on May 06, 2013, 07:04:15 AM
Don't fish over around 19lbs of drag if you do not go with a aftermarket machined frame.

At most i will fish them 12# drag setting

SoCalAngler

Then you should be fine but 12lbs for 250lb marlin? Yikes :)

Bryan Young

Quote from: SoCalAngler on May 08, 2013, 05:32:48 AM
Then you should be fine but 12lbs for 250lb marlin? Yikes :)
No problem as long as you have a now seat with seatbelts and a fast boat to keep up. We use at least 25# if drag when trolling for pacific blues in Hawaii.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D