Trouble removing post screw on 114

Started by peppah, May 07, 2013, 08:28:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peppah

I have one L.S. Post Screw on the non-handle side of the reel that I cannot seem to remove.  When I turn it the post turns with it.  I tried spraying WD40 on the post where it touches the Left Side Inner Ring and the screw head side and gripping the post with all my strength with a pair of pliers, but it still turns the whole post.  I've thought of trying to saw through the post, but wonder if that is a good idea.  Is there is another option.  I appreciate any advice.

RowdyW

Hi peppah, try drilling the head off the screw & then get 2 vice grips to grab the post & the nub of the screw & try to twist the screw out or just toss the post & get another.        Rudy

Tile

Another method is to clamp the post in a vice equipped with 2 pieces of wood and turn the screw out. If its head shears you can still try to get it out using a strong set of pliers. If the screw breaks off you can try Rowdy' s method for salvaging it.
In solid fiberglass we trust

Bryan Young

These are the two things that I do in this situation.

1)  Soak the post and sideplate in a de-calcium solution like CLR, clean, rinse and dry.  Then assemble the frame, posts and right side plate.  Then try to unscrew the stuck screw.

2)  Assemble the frame, posts and right side plate.  Then try to unscrew the stuck screw.

The difference is whether I'm soaking the reel or not.\

If that fails, I drill out the head only as Rudy indicated.

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

peppah

Thanks for the suggestions!  Because the screw wasn't stripped yet, I tried the vice first and managed to get it to break free.  Thanks for the help!

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D