'' Brine Mix For Smoking Fish.''

Started by meppstas, May 09, 2013, 10:57:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

meppstas

Here is a simple brine mix that I use for smoking fish, I mainly use it for trout. It can be used on any other fish too.
   Mix 3 tablespoons of cooking salt and 1 tablespoon of brown (or raw ) sugar to 1 pint of water and stir until dissolved, then add 3 tablespoons of premium soy sauce to the dissolved mixture. Place fish in container, pour in mix to cover fish and refridgerate for 3 to 8 hours. I have found the longer time the better, wipe fish with paper towell before placing into smoker. This mix is enough to cover 6 fish of around 350 gms, and it works a treat. I smoke them for around 20 minutes. I also add some sweet chilli sauce to the brine mix as well from time to time for that extra bit of flavour. If you don't own a smoker and have only a couple of fish to smoke then you can place them on a round cake rack and place it in a wok cover with the lid and smoke them that way as well. I often do this when I only have a couple of trout to smoke.
cheers
Adrian
'' Mepps Spin Fishing Guru Tasmania ''

Bryan Young

Thanks Adrian. I guess I'd better go catch some trout now
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

saltydog

Thanks that does work well with trout but also works well with other mild flavored fish as well.
Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur