Avet SX first time questions

Started by Padre, May 12, 2013, 12:13:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Padre

Decided to dip my toes in the water by taking apart, cleaning and lubing my year-old Avet. Three questions so far - how do y'all clean off the old grease inside? I know you're not supposed to mix different greases, so if I'm going to coat all the surfaces I'm going to need to remove the old grease in the few places it is.

The reel is supposed to have two washers, one on either side of the spool spring. Mine apparently only has one. Is this a problem?

In his tutorial, Alan says to leave the drag lever where it is and not to move it. I moved it. Accidentally. Now what?

Thanks,
Kevin

johndtuttle

Quote from: Padre on May 12, 2013, 12:13:22 AM
Decided to dip my toes in the water by taking apart, cleaning and lubing my year-old Avet. Three questions so far - how do y'all clean off the old grease inside? I know you're not supposed to mix different greases, so if I'm going to coat all the surfaces I'm going to need to remove the old grease in the few places it is.

The reel is supposed to have two washers, one on either side of the spool spring. Mine apparently only has one. Is this a problem?

In his tutorial, Alan says to leave the drag lever where it is and not to move it. I moved it. Accidentally. Now what?

Thanks,
Kevin

It kinda depends on how old the grease is inside. If it's real old then powerful solvents like brake cleaner can be used to soak parts, if not, then Simple Green or even White Vinegar can be used. WD-40 is useful for the occasional nook that a squirt can reach as it is a good degreaser (and very poor lube).

All of the above have to dry well before the next protective grease goes on and be careful with your skin when using powerful solvents.

best regards

Bryan Young

I've just wipe it off and used a old tooth brush to get as much grease out of the nooks and crannies.  Then wipe if off again then apply new grease.  Haven't had a problem in years.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

fastfishin85

as for the little washer not a major concern,my lx was fine for months without it,i did eventually order one from avet to replace it,the lever must be installed back in the free spool position,if you popped off the male cam(it has three pins and attaches behind the lever on the right side plate)make sure when u put it back on one of the pins is sticking straight up and the other two r pointing down towards the reel seat and you should be fine,good luck

Keta

Look around, the washer often stuck to the spring or bearing until it's at a place where it will fall off and get lost.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

SoCalAngler

Quote from: Keta on May 12, 2013, 04:22:38 PM
Look around, the washer often stuck to the spring or bearing until it's at a place where it will fall off and get lost.

X2
Those suckers arehard to see when stuck on a bearing.

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Quote from: SoCalAngler on May 13, 2013, 05:45:01 AM

X2

x3

Padre

Quote from: Mel B on May 13, 2013, 01:47:45 PM

X2

x3

I took it apart over a large paper plate to make sure nothing would drop onto the floor. I've looked everywhere - on the bearings, the springs, everywhere, and it just ain't there.

I haven't removed the cam lever at all, it's just not in the place where it was when i took the reel apart. Do i just set it to free when i put it back together? Can it really be that easy?

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

place the lever arm in the free spool before putting back the pre-set knob  making sure the pre-set detents are in their right place. how about  checking the inside of the spool for the other washer, where the bearing sits, maybe it's there by mistake...

Bryan Young

I found a few reels that only have one washer.  Not to worry.  The reels will work just fine with and without the washers.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Jon_Kol

My SX (MC) only has one washer where the spool spring sits. I have no idea why there's only one, maybe they forgot to put the other one in. :D

Lightly pressing the pre-set knob as you turn it (lever arm in free spool position) will make you hear and feel when the knob starts to set.

Padre

X2

Feeling a little -baa-aa-aa-sheepish. It was in fact stuck to the bearing in the thick goo of grease. My bad