Help - Penn 965 Free Spool

Started by Creed, May 12, 2013, 01:18:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Creed

I have a Penn 965 that does not free spool well despite all my attempts to lube the bearings, ect.  I rarely use it (because it does not cast well) and there is no corrosion or wear and tear.

Any advice would be appreciated. 

Thanks

alantani

it's not just the bearings.  the levelwind assembly and the inside of the pinion gear have to be cleaned and lubed. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Keta

Quote from: alantani on May 12, 2013, 04:07:07 PM
the levelwind assembly and the inside of the pinion gear have to be cleaned and lubed. 

Lube lightly.  When doing a reel for trolling I grease the gear teath but use a small amount of light on the worm shaft, gear hub and bearings.  For casting only oil.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Creed

it's not just the bearings.  the levelwind assembly and the inside of the pinion gear have to be cleaned and lubed. 

Thanks Alan, good point, I am going to do that tonight.

And thanks again for this informative and helpful website.

Creed

Quote from: Keta on May 12, 2013, 04:39:55 PM
the levelwind assembly and the inside of the pinion gear have to be cleaned and lubed. 

Lube lightly.  When doing a reel for trolling I grease the gear teath but use a small amount of light on the worm shaft, gear hub and bearings.  For casting only oil.

Thanks.