shimano 700B

Started by rac37, February 05, 2010, 06:06:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rac37

hi alan,
i have a calcutta 700B that i switched out the drag washers with smooth drags.it seems to be relly stiff is this normal?also the star drag is very touchy.i've takin it apart and put it back togather a few time,i can't figure out what i'm doing wrong,is the a trick to it?

alantani

no trick.  if anything, the star should be "mushier" with the softer carbon fiber drag washers.  honestly, my first guess would be that the metal drag washers are out of order.  is the handle hard to turn?  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

rac37

yes the handle is hard to turn,i went thick,thick,thin thin,spacer.also i can't remember if the clutch is suppose to ingage when the handle is turn,it doesn't.

alantani

i'd start by checking the drive shaft itself.  if the handle is hard to turn when it's out of gear, and the star is backed off, then remove the drive shaft and grease the base.  alan

DylanR

Is the Inox grease any good for lubricating the carbontex drag washers? what thickness 0.5 or 1mm in the 700

Bunnlevel Sharker

Go with cals or shimano drag grease, it needs to be 100% pure teflon
Grayson Lanier

DylanR

Is it the 1mm thickness for the 700B?

alantani

dylan, not sure about the thicknesses, but stick with cal's grease for drag washers.  rac37, any update?