112HN Report

Started by Keta, May 12, 2013, 05:05:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keta

I used my 112HN for the first time this weekend and it works well for lingcod up to 18lbs and 150' deep.  The boat owner had trash gear and I made a big mistake loaning it to him mid day Friday and did not get it back until we were done fishing.   I hooked and passed of a 58" Pacific halibut on my 113HN and it worked as expected.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Cone

Nice of you to loan it out. Maybe he'll fix some of his reels now. Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

Ron Jones

Great report Lee. Did either of those reels have your hex insert in them? 18 pound ling cod is good dinner.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Keta

Quote from: noyb72 on May 13, 2013, 04:32:30 AM
Great report Lee. Did either of those reels have your hex insert in them? 18 pound ling cod is good dinner.

Ron

Octagon inserts are being cut, as soon as they are they will go in my 112H for testing, they have more contact area.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Ron Jones

I have the proto Hex in the Tuna Special, no hook ups yet but can"t wait to make it sing.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

George4741

Quote from: Keta on May 12, 2013, 05:05:40 PM
I used my 112HN for the first time this weekend and it works well for lingcod up to 18lbs and 150' deep. 

Lee, I hope you aren't implying that this is the limit for your 112HN? ;)  That should be a light work-out for this reel.

George 
viurem lliures o morirem

BMITCH

Lee, are the inserts going to be available? I've got a 112HN that's just NEEDING them. That would be great.

Bob
luck is the residue of design.

Keta

Quote from: BMITCH on May 15, 2013, 04:42:21 PM
Lee, are the inserts going to be available? I've got a 112HN that's just NEEDING them. That would be great.

Bob

They drawing is at the cutter waiting to be cut.

Quote from: George4741 on May 15, 2013, 04:03:48 PM
Quote from: Keta on May 12, 2013, 05:05:40 PM
I used my 112HN for the first time this weekend and it works well for lingcod up to 18lbs and 150' deep. 

Lee, I hope you aren't implying that this is the limit for your 112HN? ;)  That should be a light work-out for this reel.

George 

Not at all, the big fish where just too deep for this reel.

Mark Twain

BMITCH

Lee, I'm a little confused. At 150' deep how is that to deep for the 112HN?

Keta

Quote from: BMITCH on May 15, 2013, 06:53:45 PM
Lee, I'm a little confused. At 150' deep how is that to deep for the 112HN?

We have strong current in the NE Pacific and often have to have 3 or 4 feet out for every foot of depth to keep on the bottom.  We were fishing 400'-600' last week and I was out to far on my 349 to feel comfortable....with a 48oz sinker.

Mark Twain

BMITCH

The few times I went tile fishing we were in mostly 450' to 700' . Every bit of 36 oz. I can't imagine the current your talking about. When it becomes that difficult to reach bottom I'm usually racking the rod and having a cold one. Lol.but in reality I have used a 113h or a fin nor offshore 20 in the higher speed. Some of the guys go to electric. But why fish with electric. Kinda like a video game at that point.

conchydong

Quote from: BMITCH on May 15, 2013, 11:44:59 PM
The few times I went tile fishing we were in mostly 450' to 700' . Every bit of 36 oz. I can't imagine the current your talking about. When it becomes that difficult to reach bottom I'm usually racking the rod and having a cold one. Lol.but in reality I have used a 113h or a fin nor offshore 20 in the higher speed. Some of the guys go to electric. But why fish with electric. Kinda like a video game at that point.

BMITCH. I deep drop with electrics quite a bit.  I fish for enjoyment and mental health but more often than not, I fish to put food on the table as my family likes to eat fish and I will do it the most efficient way within the law. Don't knock it. We often have 3-4 knots of current and need up to 10 lbs to hold bottom for tiles.  :)

BMITCH

Conchydong, I knew I would take some heat for that comment. No insult intended. Some of the trips run for tiles are strictly manual only while some are a combination of what ever you wish. Truth be known I on more than one occasion wish I had electric to check baits. Almost like work sometimes to reel in 600' of braid. No offense ment. I've seen some decent fish brought up from the abyss on electrics. To each his own. More often than not the tile trips start out as a tuna trip gone slow.
Bob

bluefish69

Bob

You missed a short notice trip on the Voyager today for Cod & Pollack.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

BMITCH

Mike, I heard about that. I'm looking after my wife right now who just went through some major surgery. I'm hoping that I can be at the rail this fall for the canyon runs ( my favorite). Right now I only have reels to upgrade to pass the time and thoughts of getting out. This is life. Things will be right in the future. Make sure you leave some of those stripers for the fall run for me would ya.
Bob