Penn 114 question

Started by FirePro911, May 13, 2013, 06:00:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FirePro911

I have a guy who wants to trade a Penn 114h for a 6500 Garcia.

I just hot-rodded my 6500 C3 with dual worm gear bearings, ABEC5 ceramic spool bearings, carbontex washers, polished it all and it is good to go.

Is this a good trade on my part?

Bryan Young

Quote from: FirePro911 on May 13, 2013, 06:00:41 PM
I have a guy who wants to trade a Penn 114h for a 6500 Garcia.

I just hot-rodded my 6500 C3 with dual worm gear bearings, ABEC5 ceramic spool bearings, carbontex washers, polished it all and it is good to go.

Is this a good trade on my part?

the answer is it depends on what you are fishing for and if you were using your 6500C3.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

basto

If it is the model with the half frame, the aluminium spool and HT100 drag,rebuildable clicker and bronze main gear and it looks like it is, you could fish it as it is.
The older model with post frame, chromed bronze spool, asbestos drag and carbon steel main gear need a few upgrades (in my humble opinion)

If you want to hotrod the reel, either model is ok.
Personally, I don`t need a use for a reel to buy it. I just love the things. It sounds like you are interested. I think it is a good swap, but I have plenty of ABUs and am deep into my vintage Penn infatuation.
I have just bought an old model 114h, but it will be customised.
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

FirePro911

Thanks, I PM'd him last night and hopefully he will get back to me today. All I have for offshore are the Penn 309's plus the 7000i, which surprisingly enough can handle some big Kingfish.

So the 113HLW and this one will be nice upgrades.

basto

Just had another look at this sideplate and did not know they made a 114h with a 5 screw frame. Does this mean that a Tiburon frame will not fit this reel? or do Tiburon make another frame to fit this reel?
The 114h I have, has an eight screw frame. I thought only the Chinese reels had a 5 screw frame, but this one is obviously USA made.

Alto Mare

Yes you can use the Tib kit with that plate, I actually like those better. You will need new rings with the eight holes, the plate already has eight holes, three are covered by the new style ring.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

basto

Aaaaaaah!  Thanks for clearing that up Sal.....my Penn education is growing. Does that mean Penn made their half frames in 5 and 8 screw versions for the 114h?

Alto Mare

Don't know bout their latest half frame, but the aluminum frame that comes with the plates as shown above has 5 holes. The plates that are available now from Scotts for the 114H have eight holes and they're the same as the one above.
The 114HL2 ( from China)has only five holes.
Are you confused yet? ;D

Plate made in USA:

https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/27N-114H.aspx

Plate made in China:

https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/27-114H2.aspx

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Shark Hunter

Another Lesson learned from Sal! He continues to amaze me!
Life is Good!