Release Reels - Thoughts, any input

Started by dchfm123, May 17, 2013, 01:35:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dchfm123

Has anyone purchased or used a reel from release reels?  They look well made but are new and unproven.  I was just wondering if anyone has used one yet and what did you think of it?

Bryan Young

Several outfitters are running Low on their stock. Seems to be flying off the shelves.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

SoCalAngler

I played with a couple SG models at a tackle store. I was not a huge fan of the handle grips, the righties felt good but I didn't like its length and the lefties knob seems a bit big to me. Maybe on the larger sized reels they would be a better fit? This is only one mans opinion. Stated 30lbs of drag on such a little reel is it really needed? Freespool was crap but I was told if the spool bearings got cleaned of grease it would frespool great but I don't think the store had even tried it out yet, so who knows? The fit and finish looked good on the two colors I saw or should I say 2 reels as the reels have dual colors. I'd really like to take a look under the hood of this reel. The reels come with a lifetime guarantee which is nice.

Jeri

Hi,

I bought one about 3-4 months ago, basically to get it under test in our rather harsh surf casting area. The SG has sailed through everything that both the fish and I have thrown at it.

Superbly smooth drag on a long running fish – even when a shark picks up a bait on a nylon leader. Had stingrays and smaller sharks up to 25kg, no dramas, just powerful drag and solid gears.

For surf casting I had to change out the grease in the ceramic bearings on the spool for oils, but that only mad the reels spin like a demon – just what we are looking for. Apart from that I have a couple of observations of modifications that would suit our environment here in Africa – which are to switch out the smaller aluminium bolts for stainless steel – though that would bring on an element of potential passive corrosion.

The guys at Release seem to have really spent a lot of time getting the reel castings and other components down to a minimum – to keep it as simple as possible. They must have a huge KISS sign in their design room – and it shows with the reel, superbly functional, no bits to fall off.

Currently waiting for a preview sample of their new LG, as the slightly larger model will be ideal for our big shark fishing off the beach.

As a boat fishing reel, it will be ideal for Sailfish, small tunas, all basically as it name implies – Small Game – though with a 30lb drag capability, it will easily handle larger game species. I should think that for casting very small live baits, it would need an educated thumb to control the very lively spool, but again it would certainly be a good choice as it has the drag to back up the power.

There have been some comments on the size of the foot plate, but we have had no issues with that, it fits neatly in a 20mm Fuji reel seat, though might have trouble in smaller reel seats, but then how small is the rod that you want to fit this powerful 'pocket rocket' on to???

Basically, it has become my personal first choice of reel to use, it will certainly be first choice for a coastal competition tomorrow.

Cheers from sunny Africa

Jeri

fastfishin85

I personally cant wait to get my hands on one,if they perform as good as they look then well be in good shape,i really like the reverse style gear box,something new and innovative.Oh and did I happen to mention lifetime warranty!That for me is just about enough to go out and get one.I however don't care for ceramic bearings or aluminum screws,but then again I don't care to eat up pinion bearings in my avets,but it happens.tryed and true there not but worth a shot,i believe so.Maybe the master himself will get his hands on one soon and let us know what he thinks.

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

from what i read in the other boards the 2nd generation reel has dog/s and a round knob. if you have the 1st gen you can send it in ant they'll replace the odd looking handle free of charge. as for me i'm sold because i think it's a 100% made in the USofA. just waiting for next trip back there this coming  oct. see ya!  :D

Bryan Young

I know they have a new Knob based on a 44 I believe.  I believe a 44 shell will fit in the holes and is fashioned off of the 44 Cal revolver.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

BTW the're new in the fishing reel business and it seems they're on a good start because of inputs from A.T. members, and they listened. hoorah!  :D

PS  in action  ...

fastfishin85

I believe the magnum style knob comes factory on left hand reels,right handed reels come factory with the odd shaped plastic knob,the plastic knob is not available on the left hand models,but you can order a right hand model with either or depending on your prefrence

Bryan Young

I don't know if we had any influence or not, but it would be nice if they would do a tutorial or send one over for us to do a tutorial and write up about the reel.  It's risky though from a mfg perspective.

akfish

Release Reels are very slick and they feel great. They have several interesting innovations. And they are made in the US. However, they ship without a schematic and I was told that they did not want users to open them for service. The reel I had came with an ARB bearing but no dog back ups -- and, as far as I could tell, no way for the user to even clean and lubricate the ARB. The handle screw -- made of aluminum -- was loctited into place and, for me at least, impossible to budge. These could be great reels -- if Release oiled rather than greased the spool bearings, if they used steel screws instead of aluminum, and if they came with a schematic.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

redpaulhus

I finally got a chance to try out my Release SG.

A bunch of us chartered the Bodacious out of Port Norris NJ and went Black Drum fishing.
I used my SG on a 7' musky rod -- overall it worked great, super smooth drag. no problems casting it, although I wasn't going for distance, just lobbing out baits.
However - I think "they" rate it for 500 yards of 50lb braid. I put a little mono on first, then 300 yard of 50lb braid, then a short mono topshot -- and that was overfull enough that if the topshot wasn't kept to the middle of the spool, it rubbed the frame.

Mine came with the black rubber handle not the metal ball, the jury is still out on that...

bnz

Here is my new release SG next to my ol boss 197 and saltist LD30:

Spool is about the same width as the saltist and almost twice as wide as the 197.

The diameter is about the same in each reel:

I wasn't too sure how well I'd like the magnum handle but your fingers do fit nicely in the cutouts of the magnum knob, which is much larger than the knobs of the other two:

I can say that this is one stout little reel.  Its anodizing is on par with the accurate and much better than the finish on the daiwa.  All new Release SG's shipped after June 1 come with their new patented A/R pawl.

Bryan Young

I was just given a Release Reel in the same color as BNZ purchased.  The reel seems really tight and the 44 Mag grip is nice, but sharp on the inner edge towards the reel where you fingers lay on the knob.  I'll be doing a complete tutorial in a couple of weeks...stay tuned...and by they way, I think my warrenty will be null and void when I do this.