Newer HXJ MC (Non Raptor)

Started by Bill Benrath, May 19, 2013, 07:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Benrath

I just got done taking a friends HX MC reel (Left Hand) apart to resolve a knuckle buster problem.  I addressed that issue and generally cleaned up the inside with a thin layer of grease cleaned the drag washer and put Cals on and cleaned it off thoroughly, lubed the spool bearings; generally Tani-ized it.

Here is a link to the parts breakdown:

http://www.avetreels.net/uploads/HXJ_2-SPEED.pdf

I noticed when I went to put it back together I was missing one of the spool springs that go on either side of the #16 spool spring.  With only one I put it on the small spool bearing side of the spring and reassembled the reel.  I only have about 10 seconds of freespool.  Nothing grinds and I cleaned the bearings with carb cleaner and blew them out with compressed air then soaked them in TSI 301, twice to get the spool to spin without any clicks. If I take the spool housing with the handle away from the side plate with the Magic Cast on it I only get about 25 seconds of freespool.  I wasn't smart enough to check the freespool before I took it apart so I have nothing to compare it to.

The other issue I have is the shift lever arm.  The shift lever arm has a spring and ball that ride in the holes in the #46 side plate.  I believe the arm is supposed to stop at the bait position and to go into full freespool by depressing the #56 strike bypass button.  The lever will with a little help go past the detent and when it does the ball falls out of the shift lever arm.  Any suggestions?

The reel only has about 4 or five trips on it; it is used for trolling for albacore tuna off the Oregon coast.

Thanks in advance for any help,

Bill Benrath
LadyE

Bill Benrath

Well I called Scott at Avet and he said that 18lbs of drag at strike was realistic; he implied that 22lbs at strike (which is stated in their literature) might be a hair optimistic and prone to damaging the pinion bearing prematurely.  He also said that if the drag knob was backed off (no drag) it could allow the lever to move sideways and the ball would fall out.  Avet has redesigned the lever with an integrated ball and spring that won't back out.  He said that they included an extra ball in the packaging that came with the reel for that reason.

As for the freespool he said that 25 seconds was realistic and that it would improve a little as the bearings seated in against the plastic covers in the bearing.

I really like this reel with the exception that it belongs to a good friend and he likes left handed reels which this reel is.  I'd like to have one in the regular (grin) right handed model in the original width not the narrow.  Pretty close to an original 4/0 reel.

LadyE