Sweepfire broken record

Started by spottybastard, May 20, 2013, 08:32:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spottybastard

I was surf fishing this weekend with my trusty Sweepfire when a big wave slapped me down.  I did my best to keep it above the drink but it did get wet and is not happy...

I've done the searches and cannot find a tutorial on the Diawa Sweepfire.  If it out there can someone please send me the link or post one.  And before anyone suggest I do, rest assured, I am not qualified to do so or I would.

Thanks, from a very frustrated fisherman...

Alto Mare

Don't waste your time, just toss it and get another
http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=sweepfire&tag=googhydr-20&index=sporting&hvadid=24963158431&hvpos=1t3&hvexid=&hvnetw=s&hvrand=2938113591850300738&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_4969u2h043_b
Those are cheaper than a set of carbon fiber washers.
If you feel like you need to take it apart, go for it, don't be surprised if a bearing costs more than the reel itself :-\
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Bryan Young

There are no tutorials for these series of reels because of the cost vs parts. I understand not everyone can afford to purchase a new reel, even one as inexpensive as the sweepfire, so I suggest you give it a try and let us know how it works out.

The cost for service, if you take it in mat be more than the reel is worth. If anything, try contacting Daiwa. Their service is very reasonable. Not the best, but very good in getting your reel back into shape.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

johndtuttle

Just tear into it. If you already have some grease and oil you can easily clean it up and get it lubed. None of the bearings are shielded and the antireverse is a simple dog system. If you simply open the reel and slather it all the parts with grease you can likely get it running smoothly again. Get in there sooner rather than later to prevent corrosion from ruining parts.

If you have to buy grease and oil well, that's about what they sell for  :D.

best