TLD15 bearings questions

Started by elgoog, May 21, 2013, 05:26:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

elgoog

Hi all -

I started taking apart an old(ish) TLD15 I got a good deal on on eBay and was following Alan's servicing tutorial (http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=41.0) for it. Overall, the reel looks in decent condition. Didn't have sufficient grease on the innards and the screws, main gear and a few other parts were fairly stuck in place. I've got all the components separated out safely and plan on applying a thin marine grease film on all these parts. Also putting in a CF drag washer with Cal's drag grease, the Belleville upgrade, ReelX on the spool bearings and a larger grip.  Looking forward to taking it out fishing - this is my first lever drag reel.

Couple of questions about the bearings came up during the takedown.

1. After the bearing shields are removed, does the orientation of the bearing matter .i.e. is there a front and back? I can clearly tell which side is which but am wondering if the orientation has any bearing (no pun intended [Oh, alright!! The pun was totally intended]) on the functioning of the part. This is for the spool and handle bearings, both.
2. When I'm packing the handle bearing with marine grease, do I pack grease in on both sides? How tightly should I be piling the grease in?

Thanks in advance,
  elgoog

Bryan Young

Hi Elgoog

Spool bearings, it really doesn't matter much. 

For the pinion (right sideplate bearing), pack in as much grease that the bearing will hold.  If you push the grease through, you shouldn't have to pack it from the other side.

Happy fishing.  It's a great reel.

Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

elgoog

alantani

i will try to get those parts shipped out today. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

elgoog