Prototype Newell

Started by Newell Nut, May 21, 2013, 06:57:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newell Nut

I ran into a new animal for my Newell collection. I bought it from a guy that I have bought a few reels from and he just described it as a clean 636-3.
I thought about sending it back but my buddy Gregg Chow says no and hold it. This reel has a white base which Carl installed on reels to be tested by the San Diego Long Range Fleet for a season and then he would analyze them. The white base reels were not meant for public use and this one aparently got legs one day and disappeared. The side plate says 636-3 but it looks too wide for a 636 with the base measureing 3" wide.  After taking a peak inside it is very clean and all metal looked new and Gregg said they usually were returned beat all to hell. Looks like the test was on the drags with a white nylon cloth looking discs that are lubricated. They are smooth like CFs and I can lock it down pretty hard and no chatter when pulling against my workbench. I pulled 35 lb on the scale and don't need any more than that and smooth is real important.
When I give the spool a spin it runs fast like one of my 332s so I guess I can keep it on my desk as a unique paper weight.

john2244

I would like to see a pic of that Newell.

John

Norcal Pescador

Quote from: john2244 on May 21, 2013, 07:21:20 PM
I would like to see a pic of that Newell.

John

X2  Pics!! We need pics!!!  ;D

Thanks for the history lesson. Sure wish Newell would come back. :-\
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Newell Nut

Newell Nut

BMITCH

Very nice. What a find!! A little bit of history. I'm very jealous. Never give that one up.
luck is the residue of design.

bluefish69

I think I have a reel seat from one of those.
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Newell Nut

I was about to send it back when I got Gregg's email with the history on it and he advised me not to let it go. He said Carl actually made these up himself and that he would mix stuff up just because he was testing instead of selling. I still think I have a 641 width spool instead of a 636 but I could be wrong. I just gave the spool a spin and it ran for 35 seconds. Nice for a big reel.

john2244

Thanks for the pic.  I have never seen one like it.
John

john2244

Alan or Bryan,

It might be fun to start a thread for everyone to post a photo of their rare or one of a kind reels.
John

Norcal Pescador

Nice! Except for the missing coating on the stand, it appears to be in really good shape. Congratulations on the find!  8)
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Newell Nut

I finally figured out some sizes and this prototype is actually a 641 spool and base at 3".

A 2 3/4 base is a 636 and a 2 3/8 base is a 631.

A 533 base will fit a 631 and a 540 base will fit a 636.

I am guessing that a 546 base fits a 641 and a 550 base fits a 646. Carl was very good at making interchageable parts between the series.

Gregg told me that Carl was known to mix up things when he put them together to be tested.