question to fix stiffening in spinning reel

Started by pcde123, May 22, 2013, 01:49:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pcde123

My spinning reel gets quite stiff when i crank up the drag, i dont know what is causeing this, i did take off/ open the spool a couple times and it began to cause this. do i need to lube the rel or grease it, and where do these liquids need to be placed, also how often to i need to clean out my real?(like get it serviced) i only fish off a pier , and i only go fishing rarely, (20 days max out of a year), i fish in salt water btw and my reel is a 6000 emcast sport(daiwa), farely large spinnig reel

Bryan Young

I don't work on spinners very much, but my guess would be the rotor support bearing needs to be changed. You may be pushing the reel beyond its limits with your drag setting.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Nessie Hunter

??? There should be NO connection between drag setting and tightness in reeling???
They are separate systems..

Quick check to tight turning handle...
step 1;
Take off the spool, crank till you see the shaft at its longest (most exposed), drop 1 or 2 drops of Reel oil on the shaft and slowly crank it till the oil works its way in (shaft bearing is below).

Step 2;
Take off handle (easy) under the handle on both sides (at least in some cases) is a bearing.
Drop or 2 of oil on side - so it runs down into bearing (not center)...
Slow crank again till oil seeps into bearings...   Slow process as you usually have to insert handle to crank, take out and do it again, each side....

You should feel it loosen up...  
Do each step separate ~ this will help you FEEL which is a problem.....

If non of these quick tips helps...  
You have other issues that would require a tear down...

Again ~ if the spool was welded to shaft (no drag system at all) it should not effect the cranking or make it harder/stiffer.....

I guess I should add that if your pulling on a large fish or log, the cranking will get stiffer the more it weighs and tighter the drag is set...  That holds true with any reel.....

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

pcde123

Nessie Hunter

If those are your choices, I am more familiar with Abu Garcia Reels then Ardent, but have never used either of those oils????
Im sure for testing or just normal lubrication Either would be fine...??

;D

Quote from: pcde123 on May 23, 2013, 04:26:14 AM
what kind of oil should i buy, i usually buy my stuff at walmart or academy,
can you tell me a good one out of their list
http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CatalogSearch?Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&catalogId=10051&langId=-1&storeId=10151&N=388793056

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

milkman

Yes PDCE, if you do what Nessie says and it still doesn't work - then you will need to open up the reel (Probably the Gear box), Lube it up properly in there & that should fix it....Or get it Serviced profesionally...