help me id this reel

Started by bruno36, May 22, 2013, 12:33:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bruno36

I bought this reel and couple months ago at a yard sale for 10 bucks. Stickers are worn off but you can make out either a 56 or a 55. Number on reel is 840400.

Keta

It looks like a 5500 or 5600 C3.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

borchcl

I'm going with a 5500C, because it looks just like the one I'm now spooling to take to Manatoba next month. Number on mine is 840200. Looks like you will be ordering some parts.
Regards,
Charlie

bruno36

Oh yea im looking into supping it up. I guessed and 5500 since it doesnt have a thumb press

Ken_D

You overpaid !!  ;D ;D  The previous owner must have been a Shimano lover.  But the beauty of Abu, compared to Shimano and the rest of the Pacific Rim pack, you will get parts easily, for a 29 year old reel. A beater like this one is normally only worth getting it to fish, not spending a tonne of money of exotic parts. But if you do up the ante, you can use the high end stuff on another Abu later on.

bruno36

I mean to upgrade  it  for fishing.

Your missing at least 2 sideplate screws and a cast control knob with its copper shims.

bruno36

I know I'm ordering parts tomorrow...

Ken_D

Hio, RE, parts: Did you add in the line pawl, and a couple of spare pawls, the worm shroud, drag washers, and possibly idler gear in the lh plate.  Wherever you buy your parts, they will add a ship/handle fee, so may as well get spares at the same time, to spread out the stamps.  :)

bruno36

Ive decided to buy a couple reels in good shape for what it will coast me for this reel... thanx guys this site is addiction