need some help avet 4/01

Started by fastfishin85, May 22, 2013, 10:51:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fastfishin85

just got this reel,well reluctant to say but my 3 year old daughter got ahold of it and dropped it right on the clicker side,no big deal but it jammed up the clicker somehow,now it wont reel when in gear,i don't think the clicker is popping out all the way because when you turn the handle to disengage it,the handle binds and wont turn,easy to fix or just order a whole new clicker from avet,20.00 bucks.

akfish

It may not be the clicker. The early EX 4 reels had a button to lock the spool in case you were getting spooled (or something). Does your reel have that button? If it does, check to make sure it is not stuck in, in the lock position. The clickers on these reels were innovative but, in my opinion, no good at all. Even when they worked they were very quiet; too quiet to do much good. Take off the left side plate and see what's up. And unless you really, really need a clicker, just disconnect it and do without.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

fastfishin85

Its not the button on the spool,I took the side plate off before posting,I kinda want to keep a clicker on it,you can still turn the clicker to engage it and when you turn the handle the clicker pops back out but you can't turn the handle after that,if you throw it back down into freespool and spin it the clicker is still engaging even though it has popped out,throw the lever back up and you can't turn the handle, it would definatley be nice to have a manual clicker rather than this auto disengaging one

fastfishin85

well I removed the clicker and that spool button,it reels now until you push the lever to about 12 to 15 pounds of drag,then at the higher drag settings when you reel about every quarter turn of the handle theres a clunking noise coming from the left side plate,i think the little arm on the ratchet plate (the thing the dogs sit in not sure of proper name)that pops the automatic clicker off is somehow hitting somewhere inside the left side plate,any suggestions.Called avet and they said send it to them but id much rather fix it myself and just order parts if need be,thanks guys

fastfishin85

allright figured it out,back in business!

Bryan Young

So what was it and how did you fix it?
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

fastfishin85

the housing(I guess that's what youd call it)that the clicker assembly sits in was slightly pushed in off the left side plate,you could barley see it but it was enough to bind up the spool when you put any thing over 10 pounds of drag and turned the handle,so I just used a socket and lightly tapped it back into place,put it back together(for the 20th time)and back in business!Weird how just that little bit could cause so many problems