Help!!! Penn Accurate Jigmaster Gear 5:1 ratio

Started by Black Pearl, May 23, 2013, 08:37:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Black Pearl

Hi guys,

I have been working on making a 5:1 ratio gear set for Jigmaster 500 / Senator 112H. I just found out that the Jigmaster 505 was supposed to be 5:1 ratio with original main and pinion gears, but after checking it out, it showed that it is actually 4.8:1.

I would like to know if anyone have a set of Penn Accurate Jigmaster gear set 5:1 can check if it is really 5:1 ratio. Also, I would like to borrow a set of that Accurate Jigmaster 5:1 ratio gear set if possible.

I also would like to see a picture of that Accruate Jigmaster 5:1 ratio main gear.

Any help, please!!!

Thanks,
--Alan

BMITCH

Hi Alan, I have what I believe is an accurate 5:1 gear. This was bought a couple years ago and came from HI to me through eBay. I at that time bought accurate side covers for a jigmaster and they came with all the insides. I know only the jigmaster spool will fit these gears along with my 112h. The 505/506 spools do not fit. If you would like to see these let me know.

Bob
luck is the residue of design.

Black Pearl

Quote from: BMITCH on May 23, 2013, 09:10:04 PM
Hi Alan, I have what I believe is an accurate 5:1 gear. This was bought a couple years ago and came from HI to me through eBay. I at that time bought accurate side covers for a jigmaster and they came with all the insides. I know only the jigmaster spool will fit these gears along with my 112h. The 505/506 spools do not fit. If you would like to see these let me know.

Bob
Hi Bob,

Can you give me a call at 561-568-3980?

Thanks,
--Alan

BMITCH

Black Pearl

Hi Bob,

Thank. It looks like it is Accurate helical cutting gear. Can you also check if it is really 5:1 ratio one more time?

Thanks,
--Alan

BMITCH

Alan, I know for SURE it came up short. Like you said...possible 4.8:1. I'll reassemble the 112HN tonight and post on my findings tomorrow.
Bob

bluefish69

I have a new set of Newell's  5-1 if that helps

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

john2244

you can count the number of teeth on the main gear and divide that by the number of teeth on the pinion to get the gear ratio.  I checked a set of 5:1 brass gears I have and came up with a gear ratio of 4.83.  58 teeth on the main and 12 teeth on the pinion.

John

BMITCH

John, I just counted this one. It the same 58 main gear and 12 on the pinion. Hope that helps Alan?
Bob

Black Pearl

Quote from: bluefish69 on May 23, 2013, 10:05:33 PM
I have a new set of Newell's  5-1 if that helps

Mike

Hi Mike,

Can you take post a picture of that Newell 5:1 ratio gears, please? Can you also test if it is really 5:1 ratio?

I would like to get you guys opinions on this JigMaster 500/ Penn 112H gear set. I see the following opinions.

1.) 4.8:1 ratio gear set. PRO: helical cutting, Smooth and quiet cranking. Cons: slower speed.
2.) 5:1 ratio gear set: PRO: Higher speed and smooth. Cons: Straight cutting and noisy.

So, which one should we go with?

I also heard that the reason Accurate stopped making the Jigmaster 5:1 gear set because it was slipping when it was under stress. That will be another thing to think about.

Thanks,
--Alan  

BMITCH

BMITCH

john2244

RowdyW

BMITCH

Btw John. Thanks for enlightening me as to how to calculate the ratio. I knew you could count the teeth but wasn't sure on how to apply it. Thanks.
Bob