Tutorial for Jigmaster 500S?

Started by EHSportsman, May 25, 2013, 05:41:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EHSportsman

I know there is a tutorial for the regular Jigmaster 500; Is there one for the 500S. I took the left sideplate off (opposite of the 500 where the right sideplate comes off with the thumbscrew)........some trouble adjusting the spool (which I assume is done with the right side bearing?) Thanks, Steven

Norcal Pescador

Use the 500 tutorial for the 500S. The big difference is the take-down screw on the left sideplate. The bearing on the handle side should be tight; the non-handle side bearing is the one that sets the spool end play. You can look up the schematic for the 500S at www.mysticparts.com to show what's different from the 500 and that should help.

We're here to help!

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

$Bill

I just bought a Jigmaster 500S. I don't see a 500S in my old catalogs. What does the "S" mean? What makes it different from a 500 or a 500M?
you have to believe in something. I believe I'll go fishing!

foakes

Plastic side plates, left side takedown screw, red spool, offset handle -- probably just a little less expensive to manufacture...

Only lasted for a little less than 2 years, if I recall.  (Early 80's, maybe? For catalogue info...).

Basically just a slightly different idea for a Jigmaster.

Majority of inside parts are interchangeable with regular 500.

Good, solid reel -- like all Jigmasters -- the reel that won the West -- just like an old lever action Winchester.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

$Bill

Thanks Fred. I have catalog 34B that I bought online. The copyright says 1971-72. I'm sure they probably used it for more than one year. I started out to get one of every reel in it, but there are so many different sub-models I may have a hard time doing that. I really need to get a catalog from the 40s or 50s. Those are the ones I'm most interested in since they are the ones my uncle got me started on when I was a kid. We caught a lot of Blue Fish, Flounder, and sharks on Penn reels fishing off Cape Cod.

handi2

I believe it stands for Saltwater. I too have one 500S along with others..
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Aiala

I've got two of them, and they are as sweet as any regular Jigmaster; although in my view, because the take-apart screw fastens into one of the frame support bars rather than having its own hole as in the standard models, I feel the design isn't fully as brilliant as the non-S reels. I suspect Penn did it just... well, just because. :)

~A~

I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

Alto Mare

Quote from: Aiala on September 01, 2014, 11:46:28 PM
I've got two of them, and they are as sweet as any regular Jigmaster; although in my view, because the take-apart screw fastens into one of the frame support bars rather than having its own hole as in the standard models, I feel the design isn't fully as brilliant as the non-S reels. I suspect Penn did it just... well, just because. :)

~A~

Yes Aiala, they are sweet indeed ;)
Quote from: $Bill on September 01, 2014, 11:09:57 PM
Thanks Fred. I have catalog 34B that I bought online. The copyright says 1971-72. I'm sure they probably used it for more than one year. I started out to get one of every reel in it, but there are so many different sub-models I may have a hard time doing that. I really need to get a catalog from the 40s or 50s. Those are the ones I'm most interested in since they are the ones my uncle got me started on when I was a kid. We caught a lot of Blue Fish, Flounder, and sharks on Penn reels fishing off Cape Cod.
$Bill, I believe Fred gave you some good information, as he usually does, I'm just going to add a few things.
You're talking about a  Jigmaster with different features. The 34 catalog should show flanged plastic spools on a jigmaster with a thumb screw on the right.
I believe the "S" model was introduced in early 1980's the "S" stands for Saltwater, as Handi2 mentioned.
In 1983 the "S" model was offered with a red aluminum spool as well, marking their 50th anniversary, that lasted for about two years.
500S = saltwater, all of the other models: SL-SM and M = medium saltwater and fresh water...don't ask me why.
The side plates on the "S" are durable glass reinforced Lexan, available with die cast black anodized aluminum spool, red anodized aluminum spool and deluxe stainless steel spool.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

akfish

I heard somewhere that the "S" stood for "strong," with the idea that the stronger material in the sideplates made for a stronger reel. Unfortunately, the frame of the 500S tweaked more easily that the other Jigmasters so it lasted but two years.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Alto Mare

Might be Bill, but I have it in black and white in one of my catalogs. It states that "S" on the 500s jigmaster stands for saltwater...who knows.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

$Bill

Thanks everyone. Mine has the red spool. Since it's not that old, I think I'll fish this one. Now to find a good rod for it!