okuma titus 30II rebuild

Started by health4u2, May 26, 2013, 12:49:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

health4u2

I am at a loss as to what is making a grinding sound when reeling up. I've had the side plates off and didn't notice anything visually wrong but maybe I didn't reassemble properly.
Also, where do I get the little grommets that go on the side plate screw holes?

Bryan Young

If the spool is not rubbing against the sideplate, the greats may be dirty and could use a good craning and regreasing.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Alto Mare

And I thought I was bad with spelling, at least I have an excuse I'm from another country. :-\
Go get some rest Bryan ;D.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

health4u2

Does anyone have a pictorial on how to re-assemble the reel?

limitdown

On the spool, there is a white plastic collar with 2 protrusions that fit into the spring-loaded pawls (ie antireverse pawls/dogs). When reassembling, put the spool into the right side plate, and make sure that the 2 protrusions from the plastic collar go into the corresponding holes of the pawls. When in proper position, screw in the preset knob to secure the spool.

I must have fumbled with this for 3 to 4 hours before finally getting it right.

I kept putting the spool into the frame first, and then just slapped the right side plate on. The reel was very noisy when cranked and the anti-reverse wouldn't engage.

Bryan Young

Quote from: Alto Mare on May 26, 2013, 04:58:51 PM
And I thought I was bad with spelling, at least I have an excuse I'm from another country. :-\
Oops. It's called big fingers, small iPhone.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

limitdown

This is the white washer.
And these are the slots on the pawls.
Photos stolen from Alan's Titus Silver 50 rebuild post
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=15.0

Cone

Quote from: Bryan Young on May 27, 2013, 02:00:06 PM
Quote from: Alto Mare on May 26, 2013, 04:58:51 PM
Oops. It's called big fingers, small iPhone.

Whew! I thought it was your accent.  ;D  Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD