Upgrading standard Makaira to SEa

Started by Inspiro, May 28, 2013, 09:09:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inspiro

Hi all
I can get an Okuma Makaira 20/30 at fairly good price locally, but cannot get the SEa
I'm interested in upgrading it to SEa, but sending it to Okuma USA & back will be very costly, so I'd like to do it by myself
but I have some questions:
-Where can I get the parts required ? do I have to get it as a package(I might not need to change the bearings)?
-Is the 50 handle & gear shifter of the upgrade a direct replacement of the current one?
-Is the lower gears a direct replacement?

Thanks in advance
Inspiro

SoCalAngler

The only place I know of to get the parts is Okuma. I think the handle, lever and gear is a direct swap out but if I were you I'd get a hold of Okuma and make sure. You can get their contact info here.
https://www.okumafishing.com/resources/customer_service

Inspiro

I did send them an email yesterday but recieved no reply
Thats why im asking here;the best place ever for this kind of questions

SoCalAngler

It was a long weekend here in the states, I'm sure they will get back to you. Still I like to call when I can as other questions may come up for both sides.

alantani

a larger grip and longer handle arm are the only differences on the outside.   Inside, the spool bearings are open.  that's it. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Tailin strange

What about going backwards from an SEa to a regular makaira. Externally I'd leave the longer handle but internally what would need to be ordered to swap out the open bearing and make the reel more suited for trolling alone? Thanks

redsetta

G'day Tailin,
Simply pack all the bearings (ie specifically, those in the spool) with high-quality marine grease... Job done.
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer