Penn440SSg Help

Started by alex_glenn, May 29, 2013, 03:21:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alex_glenn

Hey guys,
brand new to this site, and too servicing reels.  I have been fishing for over ten years and rarely even brought my gear in for servicing, unless it felt as it was in need of it.  Keep in mind I used to do almost all freshwater fishing, I have been living in Rhode Island and have gotten hooked on stripers.  I have a Penn 440 SSG and I only used it for last fall, and this spring and it is still working great.  I did fish it pretty heavily, But it still feels as it did the day I got it.  My questions are, how often do you need to service a saltwater reel, and is there a place I can find a guide for servicing my 440ssg.  I have all the penn reel grease, oil, and cleaner, I just have never attempted to do this before and would love some help.  Thanks guys. 

Cone

Depending on use, I service my spinners at least once a year. If the reel is dunked, I service it then. Look in the spinner section. One thread is http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=4065.0 Most of the Penn tutorials such as the one for the 6500ss are close enough to get you through. If you get stuck ask and someone will help.
   I generally thin my grease with corrosion x and pack the main and pinion bearings on my spinners for extra protection from salt water.  Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

Pescatoral Pursuit

Late to the party here.

This is pretty much  a DIY site, but if you're gonna send it out, you can do no better than to send it back to Penn. I sent them a Slammer Live liner cause I didnt want to mess with the complicated innards, and, they were able to convert it to auto-engage.

They went thru it completely, turned it around in three weeks, and charged me $26 including return shipping, and surprised me by changing out the handle because the paint was flaking NO CHARGE. They are good people and will treat you right.