Shimano Cardiff

Started by alex_glenn, May 29, 2013, 03:28:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alex_glenn

Hey,
So I am about to purchase a Shimano Cardiff for some saltwater baitcasting.  I know its a musky rod, but that people use it for stripers, just have to service and clean it more often.  Just wondering if anyone has any help or a guide on taking apart the cardiff and what needs to be greased and oiled and everything, thanks.

alex_glenn

Its the Cardiff 400a lefty

Jeto

i don't think it would be very different from this

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=896.0

i have the lefty version too. 
I can't wait to service this reel but i'm still waiting for the hedgehog tool to arrive. ;)

Fishnmike

Yeah all the Cardiffs are pretty much the same.  I have a couple 100s, a 300 and a couple 400s.  Use them for everything from kokes up to salmon in the ocean.  Great little reels.  Add some carbon fiber drags from Dawn and you are good to go.

broadway

That's the link... you shouldn't have a problem with the tutorial... if you can put a dog spring in a 113h correctly ;)
I have 2 lefty and 2 righty for fluke, weakfish, stripers, and blues (30-40lb. braid).  I can't remember which model I have but I think it's the 300 series and it's something like 11 oz.
I didn't go through them for the first 4 years with no problems at all.
One recommendation is get a power handle (no counter weight) off ebay or elsewhere.
Let us know how you make out,
Dom
PS- stick with braid on this one due to the small diameter of the spool... otherwise you have a very coily line to try to cast with.