113 Senator Gears

Started by chris73, February 13, 2010, 12:52:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chris73

Is there a faster gearset for the old 4/0 black senators?

alantani

not that i am aware of.  the best upgrade for that reel is a coversion to a "5+1" drag stack and a stainless steel gear sleeve.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

broadway

What do you mean 5+1 drag stack?  Is the +1, the belleville washer or is it another keyed washer, then the belleville?  Thanks!
Dom

broadway

Ahhh! I get it, you said the drag stack is 5+1. My first thought was the metal washers not the carbon fiber. Duh, Sorry if I confused anyone with my silly question.
Dom

chris73

Are these still useful reels in comparasion to the newer stuff out there? The reel I have is in nice shape, but the drag washers and gears are so small compared to a 113H that I haven't spooled it up and even tried it. It seems like a giant Jigmaster on the inside! LOL!

Opinions?
What are the older senators best used for in saltwater?

richie668

I have an old 113, it works  good for bottom fishing,atlantic cod & haddock 200-300ft down. some of my jigs are 16-20oz.
The low gears 2-1 are good for hauling up big fish. mine has the hardened steel gears.I put a stainless sleeve&The 5-1 drag upgrade.
plenty of drag. It has caught many fish& served well over the years & now primarily used as a "brother in law rig."
                 Tight lines, Richie

alantani

the black side plate 113 is one reel that really benefits from a stainless steel gear sleeve.  alan

chris73

OK! Spooled the old girl up with 40lb. Pink Ande and fished her deep offshore for Cod today. 6am to 4pm trip. Only a few shorts and one keeper (it was delicious), but I clearly want the 5+1 upgrade. I like the lower gears for this fishing, so I'm actually happy to have this reel! My Saltist 50 is just sitting there and I feel guilty because it was a gift!

Will I need to grind away like the 111 rebuild post shows? And is it the same parts list?

Thanks.

alantani

yup, it's pretty much the same.  if you need some parts, send me a pm.  thanks!  alan