Torium 30 handle.

Started by El Guapo, May 30, 2013, 06:42:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

El Guapo

Good morning..

Have 2 questions i'd like to ask.. the handle on the Tor 30 has play or turns back like almost quarter the way backwards.. what could that be also after a few turns its like the spool looses alignment and turning spool becomes harder with a much more heavier sound as spool struggles to spine..with reel not being in free spool.. is it because of the loose handle / faulty A-RB?

did a search but seems this is a first and will ask my cousin what he did to reel lol  ;D

basto

The handle play means your IAR bearing on the drive shaft is not working and your back up pawl and rachet is also not working.
The silver spool play ajusting knob on handle side plate may be adjusted up too tight causing the spool turning problems.
Sounds like the reel needs a thorough overhaul and service.
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

El Guapo

Hi basto..

Thank you kindly for response.. will check if parts are locally available to replace.. inner tube and bearing was coated in goowee rust which i cleaned in benzene rust and after i repositioned l/s plate for umpteenth time it seems okay for now..will have a word with cuzzie wrt his reel's regular service.

Regards.

jonathan.han

Sounds like typical stock Torium issues. As long as there isn't cancerous corrosion of the frame and expensive parts, then full service and the swap to the Trinidad DC Anti-reverse dog is in order. Figure that most of the bearings need to be replaced, Carbontex/Penn drags, and the Trini dog. The stock drags in those get gummy fast and lose pressure. Unfortunately, like most reels on the market, I would strongly recommend against fishing them straight from the box.
raw instinct