Any way to change a BAJA SPECIAL into a left hand reel?

Started by X-Miner, May 30, 2013, 07:16:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

X-Miner

Hi, I found this Baja Special on a flea market (I live in Belgium, we don't get huge fish here so it's useless here, thank god I traval a lot... :D).
But, being European, I prefer winding with my left hand...
I have lefthanded 113's wich I love and I want this one to join the party instead of just looking pretty.

So, does anyone have a clue how to make this thing work it's magic in the "correct" way? :D

akfish

It would involve lots of work, and I can't imagine it would be cost effective. The Baja Special has lots of parts that are unique so it would require machining a new ratchet for the anti-reverse, new gear set, and more. I'm told that spme of the Penn Fathoms are available in left hand retrieve and know that almost all Avets can be had left handed. One of these would be a better option.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

George4741

Quote from: X-Miner on May 30, 2013, 07:16:42 PM

But, being European, I prefer winding with my left hand...

I started fishing with a Mitchell 300 and I still prefer to wind a spinner with my left hand.  I blame the French for this. ;)  However, I wind conventionals with my right hand.
  George
viurem lliures o morirem

Cone

George, that's how their supposed to be used! And the steering wheel should be on the left side.  :D  Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

X-Miner

I've seen pictures of the rebuild for the Baja by Alan.
When placing the ratchet he stated to take care to put it in correctly. So that would be the least of my worries.
The gears on the other hand...
You guys have another standard and formula to building gears. So I can't find anyone out here who could machine me a cog with exactly the same dimensions. So I would have to replace the main gear and the pinion AND have it machined in the US. Or I need to find gears and pinions with the same dimensions in a left-handed Penn. If someone has the dimensions of Squal or Fathom gears fill me in :D.
I'll open the Baja up tomorrow and see what's what.

@Akfish
We are fishermen, we are per definition not cost effective  ;).
But You do have a point offcourse. The thing is, I don't need it, I want it... Must be a trauma from my childhood or something ;D. I am a happy owner of some Stella's and 113's (which I haven't used yet)
so I could land most of the fish thrown my way. We don't have Avet here but they look nice. Problem is I haven't "felt" one yet. Maybe when I come stateside next Year ;).

@George4741
I started out with a Mitchell too... I smell a conspiracy!
I tried the right hand winding on Florida partyboats, and off Tenerife and Gambia, I even tried It in the North Sea for cod. It just doesn't feel right.

Thx for the replies guys

SoCalAngler

Since your not left handed I say learn to crank "the big boy reels" with your right hand :) :)

Ron Jones

I learned to fish with Penn conventionals and Mitchel 300s. I am a South Paw and was told I was lucky because I could use a conventional correctly. I learned "The rod brings the fish in, the reel holds the line" and so the rod should be in your dominant hand whenever possible.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Mandelstam

Quote from: noyb72 on May 31, 2013, 06:00:52 AM
I learned to fish with Penn conventionals and Mitchel 300s. I am a South Paw and was told I was lucky because I could use a conventional correctly. I learned "The rod brings the fish in, the reel holds the line" and so the rod should be in your dominant hand whenever possible.

Ron

X2

I'm not a leftie but I totally agree with that conventionals should be lefthanded. I'm not super bothered with it as I mostly own right handed reels and are used to it by now but when you are casting a full day and have to change the rod from the left hand to the right, cast, and then back again it's a big bother. Can't really understand why so many right handed people can't see that.. :)

/Karl
"Fish," he said softly, aloud, "I'll stay with you until I am dead." - Santiago, Old Man And the Sea

X-Miner

Indeed, there is no sense in having to switch the rod from hand to hand, and yes, I was also tought that the rod catches the fish and the reel holds the line.
The rod is more then just a reelholder to me.

And since we have the best beer in the world I am right for wanting to wind left, right?  8)

As for learning how to use "big boys reels"... I can use righthanded reels, I just prefer not to  ;).

And I call a Stella 20000 a big boys toy too (and I can wind it the right way, being left  ;D)

Gonna open up the Baja now, wish me luck...

Norcal Pescador

Being a left-hander, I like all the reels with the handle on the right side! ;D ;D It makes it so easy to cast and retrieve, cast and retrieve and the selection is huge.  ::)

I have a hard time watching anglers switching the rod back and forth. But then again I hold my fork in my left hand, too. I must be in my right mind. :D
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

alantani

you could if you have a left handed gear set, gear sleeve and star......   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

X-Miner

Quote from: alantani on June 03, 2013, 06:31:28 AM
you could if you have a left handed gear set, gear sleeve and star......   :-\

Lol, I know :D
But I can't find any :(.
In the meanwhile I "alantanied" the reel so it wasn't a complete waste of time ;)