Just wondering?

Started by BMITCH, May 31, 2013, 07:32:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BMITCH

When fighting a fish or for that matter just reeling in the line. Under which arm do you place the rod butt? I'm a righty and find it easier under my left arm, but have seen people with it under their right arm also.
luck is the residue of design.

Bryan Young

Depends on which arm is more tired.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

BMITCH

Quote from: Bryan Young on May 31, 2013, 07:40:42 PM
I thought that's why they put rails on the boats? ;D ;D

Mandelstam

I think it changes during the day for me. But usually under my right arm. But I'm right handed.
"Fish," he said softly, aloud, "I'll stay with you until I am dead." - Santiago, Old Man And the Sea

BMITCH

Karl, I too am right handed. Just can't get the feel with it under my right arm though. Strange huh?

RowdyW

Quote from: BMITCH on May 31, 2013, 07:32:55 PM
When fighting a fish or for that matter just reeling in the line. Under which arm do you place the rod butt? I'm a righty and find it easier under my left arm, but have seen people with it under their right arm also.
It all depends on the size of the fish. If its bait fish or small fish just tuck it under your elbow and wind with the opposite hand. For medium sized fish put on a rod belt. If its a monster sit down in the chair, put on your seat belt and all the harnesses & get ready for a war where anything goes.   Rudy

Mandelstam

When I think about it I think it depends on where I want, or can, point my rod. I usually have it on an angle, either left or right. And the butt goes under the opposite arm.
"Fish," he said softly, aloud, "I'll stay with you until I am dead." - Santiago, Old Man And the Sea

Bryan Young

Quote from: BMITCH on May 31, 2013, 08:01:21 PM
Quote from: Bryan Young on May 31, 2013, 07:40:42 PM
I thought that's why they put rails on the boats? ;D ;D
I know I'm vertically challenged, but this is going way too far >:(  ;D  >:(  ;D  >:(  ;D
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

BMITCH

Bryan, I use the rail cause of age. Nothin to do with height. Way to many years goin toe to toe. Leverage is our friend. ::)

SoCalAngler

I'm right handed and the butt usually goes under my right arm.

Nessie Hunter

I put it in my Rod belt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!    ;D

Never could get coordinated with it under either arm...  :-\
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

Newell Nut

For me I wear a fanny pack in front with a pocket with hooks and swivels and a pocket with pre-cut leaders. There is a third rear pocket on this pack that contains the remains of an old leather fighting belt so I always jam the butt of the rod into the fanny pack with a straight left arm on the fore grip and right hand on the crank. For me this is the best leverage and least tiring. Too many people bend the left arm which tires the muscles. Keep it straight, pump and wind. If age is a factor lay it on the rail and crank with a low gear.

BMITCH

Quote from: SoCalAngler on June 01, 2013, 05:33:09 AM
I'm right handed and the butt usually goes under my right arm.
I just seem to get all jammed up with it under my right arm and cranking with my right. Newell nut. I'm with you on the rail use. I've landed a lot of large fish with rail assistance. I try to stay away from belts. Most of my offshore fishing is on party boats and the rail is your friend. I've seen a lot of fish lost due to guys not able to get that rod out of the belt quick enough and line rubbing on the hull. I guess when the fish is out and away it's no issue though. I like to use either the rod hookie or one of the oversized rod butt cushions. With those you are still able to put the rod up under your arm. Again I was just wondering what other people think/do.
Bob

LndShrk

reelgood

If you are strictly grinding the lever, think about it, you can get more power when the vectors are more in line with the arm doing the pushing (from 9 oclock to 3 oclock) and then the pulling (3 back to 9) of the handle.  Can you 1-arm bench press and row more on that arm's side, or when you have the hand and arm going allmost all the way across your body?  Pretty sure it's the former for both...But other than the grinding, I agree that the rod can feel a bit jammed up when under the cranking arm.  Neither are optimal leverage wise compared to a belt or rail