Penn 16/0

Started by Shark Hunter, June 01, 2013, 05:08:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark Hunter

I just scored me another 16/0. Looks like scotts is getting another order for an overhaul. I am going to spool it with straight 200 lb mono and take it to the beach to catch a monster.
I fell like there is nothing I couldn't reel in with this. We will see.
Life is Good!

Bryan Young

That's a big reel. Just shipped one back after servicing it. I need bigger hads to service this reel.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Alto Mare

Daron, before you do anything to that reel, could you check with Broadway or John2244 and see if they're interested on a trade? You have one of the very first models, that reel is highly collectible and very hard to come by, especially in that condition. If you're a collector, put that thing on a shelf. If you're just going to fish with it, you will be better off with a later model with the one piece spool.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Shark Hunter

Sounds like I scored myself a Gem. You guys are the best!
Kudos Sal!
Life is Good!

john2244

Hello Daron,

As Sal stated I would be very interested in your Penn 16/0 for my  Penn collection.   I have close to 150 Penn reels but I do not have an early 16/0.   Let me know if you are interested in a trade or sale.
John

Shark Hunter

John,
I got your IM. I think I am just going to keep this being it is so rare. The only thing I would trade it for is another 16 in mint condition. I have just about every other penn senator as well.
Let me think about it.
Life is Good!

Mandelstam

"Fish," he said softly, aloud, "I'll stay with you until I am dead." - Santiago, Old Man And the Sea

Shark Hunter

Sal,
John2244 tells me that he is really looking for an early 16/0 with bushings. Mine has bearings. If it was made in the fiftys as I suspect. You think somebody just upgraded it to bearings? I got it today and it looks sweet! I will post some better pics tonight when I get off work.
Life is Good!

john2244

Shark Hunter,

Sal continues to educated me on Penn reels.  I assumed since all of my early Penn reels with 3 piece spools came with bushings that your Penn 16/0 should also have bushings.  Sal corrected me by stating that Penn 14/0 and 16/0 reels with 3 piece spools also came with bearings.  Sal, correct me if I am stating this incorrectly.

John

Alto Mare

Quote from: john2244 on June 04, 2013, 11:49:41 PM
Shark Hunter,

Sal continues to educated me on Penn reels.  I assumed since all of my early Penn reels with 3 piece spools came with bushings that your Penn 16/0 should also have bushings.  Sal corrected me by stating that Penn 14/0 and 16/0 reels with 3 piece spools also came with bearings.  Sal, correct me if I am stating this incorrectly.

John
Almost John. What I said was that I've never seen a 14/0 or 16/0 with bushings. If it does exist, I would love to see it.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Shark Hunter

Well, Here she is. It looks a lot better than the picture I posted earlier. ( I took it off ebay)
I took some with my newer 16/0. Man this reel looks good for being 60 years old.
The only difference I really noticed is that there is a washer between the drag wheel and the cap that houses the drag on my newer 16. Its not on the old one and I can tell the drag is a lot harder to move without it. Other than that, it feels silky smooth and the clicker is Loud!
Life is Good!

Shark Hunter

I have this reel on ebay at the present time. I know its way cool and hard to come by, but to me, its like having a show car that I can't Drive. There is no way I can get a replacement spool for it. I am going to just try and recover my investment for a one piece spool model that I can Show and Drive.
Life is Good!