Handle pin on Avet's T-bar handles are longer than the original pin - whyyy?

Started by Jon_Kol, June 03, 2013, 06:32:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jon_Kol

Hi, once again it's your favorite Norwegian and his Avet LX 6/3 questiooooons *drumroll* :P

Bryan here at alantani has been a real helper, he ordered and shipped the two T-bar handles that a friend of mine and I had been waiting for since about forever via Charkbait (but that's already mentioned in the other thread that I made here). Today the handles arrived and I couldn't wait to install mine and let the reel sit for a couple of days before it's to be matched with a proper Daiwa rod.

However...

You know the pin that sits on the Avet handles, the one which makes sure the low and high stays in place when you choose between them? The pin which has the small cover over it, to ensure that the spring holding the gear shifter does not shoot away when you choose between low and high? WHY is this pin longer on the T-bar handle than on the original LX handle?? The pin is also loose, it can be removed. This does not seem to be the case on the original handle.

What happens is that that T-bar handle pin is juuuuust a bit too long, so the gear cover will not fit when you tighten the small screws holding it. I'm close to depression right now, why is there always something wrong with me and the LX? :-/

Is it possible to shorten this pin, should it even be done and if so: How much? If I take too much of, there won't be enough height to secure the gear shifter. Too little and the cover still won't fit..

If needed, I can take pictures. I'm not sure how well my frustrated written english is, I hope you understand what I mean.

Regards,
Mr. Frustrated.

Bryan Young

Measure the height of the pin on the original handle and grab a file and grind down the pin until it is the same height as the older handle.  A necessary headache unless you can pull the pin out of the other handle.  It could also be that the hole depth could differ, quite possibly from the anodization process.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Jon_Kol

Thanks once again for quick and detailed input. I've just measured the pins - there's a difference at around 0.7 or 0.8 mm from where the pin exits the reel handle on the original handle, to where it exits on the T-bar handle. In other words, if I can just file a tiny layer on top of the new pin, the gear housing should fit.

At least I hope so..

Jon_Kol

Success!! I hope that my LX will be in tip-top shape for quite some time.

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Jon_Kol

I was informed about a small detail yesterday, when my friend Andreas got his T-bar handle in the mail from me:

The gear cover on his LX 6/3, which is an older model than mine (his model has for instance the retaining ring, mine has glued-on washers), was already filed down quite much on the inside - meaning that the pin that I found to be too long for my LX gear-cover, would have fit on his reel without me having to file it down. I filed it before sending the handle to him, so it would have been ok either way.

But it was an interesting detail to learn - older LX 6/3's seem to have more clearence within the gear cover and therefor the lenght of the pin would not have been a problem for his reel, as it was for my LX.