A monster halibut!

Started by Alto Mare, June 04, 2013, 03:08:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

This was sent to me from my good friend Ted:

Hey Sal, I've been gone from the site so long I can't figure how to manage attachments..........I took a couple friends out fishing a couple days ago and one of my buddies caught a monster 225+ pound halibut. It's been all over the news around the northwest, just wanted to share with all the great folks on Alans website.

They do get bigger up in Alaska, but this rare big pig came from the eastern strait of Juan De Fuca.........All 3 of us are still a little giddy.

I'll send your email a 7 picture slideshow, perhaps you could post one up.......The monster was 6' 3" long

Enjoy.....Tight Lines, Ted

Very nice ;), good to hear from you Ted. I got to get on that boat one day.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

seaeagle2

That's Woody from the fishing club I'm in, Couldn't happen to a nicer guy.......
"One life, don't blow it" Kona Brewing
\"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there\'d be a shortage of fishing poles\" Doug Larson

Bryan Young

Awesome!  And world gets smaller.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Maxed Out

Thanks for posting Sal, and you are welcome on my boat anytime, just let me know when you want to come over to the pacific side of the fishing map.

That is Woody Woods on the left in the pic, he single handedly hooked and reeled that fish up from over 400'.........and the man is 71 years young but nobody ever informed him that getting a little older means you can't catch the fish of a lifetime.

It was one of those times on the water that I will cherish for the rest of my days...........Thanks again Sal for posting............for more pics and more of the story you can google "woody woods halibut".
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

BMITCH

Great picture and post. Thanks for putting it up here.
Bob
luck is the residue of design.

Joel.B

71 years old and still chasing big buts

atta boy!!!

WHat an impressive fish. Are they good to eat at that size?

Mandelstam

Here in Scandinavia buts that size have accumulated a lot of toxins over the years and are not recommended for eating. Don't know how the buts fare on your side of the ocean though.
"Fish," he said softly, aloud, "I'll stay with you until I am dead." - Santiago, Old Man And the Sea

Maxed Out

Quote from: Mandelstam on June 04, 2013, 06:54:12 PM
Here in Scandinavia buts that size have accumulated a lot of toxins over the years and are not recommended for eating. Don't know how the buts fare on your side of the ocean though.

Yes, these bigger fish are older and do tend to have slightly higher concentrations of mercury, but not enough to do any harm unless you eat it 7 days a week for a couple years..........I only eat halibut a couple times a week, so hopefully I'll live to fish another day.

BTW, these bigger fish do have larger grains in the meat that tend to be a little less flakey, and cooking a fillet 6" thick just isn't feaseable unless you like the outside overcooked and the middle still raw. We just butterfly cut the fillets and it is flakey, moist, and definitely gourmet eating.

Tight lines to all, Ted

P.S. Sal, just let me know when you would like to come fish with me. I have plenty of room to accomidate you and if we get skunked I can drive you to the pike place market 45 minutes away so you won't go home empty handed......Ha Ha Ha, just kidding, we never buy our fish, we earn them the old fashioned way....Hook and line wrapped around a stick with a willow branch for a rod.
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!