Penn Fathom 25N

Started by ScupperSkipper, June 04, 2013, 03:49:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ScupperSkipper

Hello All,  I just received my new Penn Fathom 25N yesterday after having it shipped to Alan tani for initial service.
I have never seen a stock 25N as there aren't any stores carrying this within 40 miles of me. I ordered the reel
online with 300 yards of 50# Braid and a long 25# top.  This will be used with a Calstar 850L rod for seabass,
yellowtail, and anything within 2 day range.  The reel would spport up to 40#.
For a reel within a price point range, this is an excellent choice, like an old Penn 501 without the weak parts
and spool pinching characteristics.  Many people in the industry applauded this reel for anything
that is not 5 day or more trip, including jigstick properties.
The reel was shipped directly to Alan Tani for service.  It came back very quickly and is beyond expectations!
The free spool is amazing (spins until I am tired of watching it) and the reel very smooth and the drag service makes it a top choice.  No need to
go to the higher level Torque reel in my opinion.  I will go on an all day charter Sunday out of Oxnard.  I hope the seabass and/or yellowtail are on the chew!
Thank you so much Alan for the expert job and advice you freely give to your readers.  I will report back Monday.
This rig will toss a sardine or anything else and spins so well that I will have to slow it down so the birds don't nest with me!
Thanks for listening.  Upgrade your old Penns/Newells and you will not be sorry.  The reels looks nice too boot!  Jeff

p.s. San Clemente flylining dines for the mossback yellowtail should be a snap with this reel.
I will most like buy one or two more Fathoms, one for a jigstick and one with 65 braid and 40 topshop for a seabass only reel.

tpilk

I agree on all points - the FTH25N is a great reel. I would add totally fishable right out of the box - I know, blasphemy.... I've got 400 yds of #65 XP on mine.

So far I've got the FTH12, a FTH15LV and the FTH25N and all have proven themselves. Great drags and though some complain about having to remove the side plate to tweak the cast control, it's all of 2 minutes to change over.

I also picked up an SQL15...no complaints what so ever. The dial/knob style cast control is easy and works as advertised.

spize909

I caught a couple 30ish lb bluefin on my new 25N last weekend and it was very impressive.
I had it spooled with 40 over 65 and for this trip and used it to yoyo a Megabait.

SoCalAngler

Love my 25N as well. I now have it strapped onto a Calstar 270-8H and run around a 100 yard topper of 30 lb mono on top of 50lb braid. I use this setup mainly as a surface iron rod and will fish a bait from time to time. I head out on a 1.5 day trip in 8 days and hopefully the YFT will be on the chew along with the YT.

Oh and Scupper if you find and deans this year to fish YT at Clemente let me know. All I have seen is very few, weak, crappy deans and small to mid sized chovie.

spize909

Quote from: SoCalAngler on July 07, 2014, 03:56:55 AM
Love my 25N as well. I now have it strapped onto a Calstar 270-8H and run around a 100 yard topper of 30 lb mono on top of 50lb braid. I use this setup mainly as a surface iron rod and will fish a bait from time to time. I head out on a 1.5 day trip in 8 days and hopefully the YFT will be on the chew along with the YT.

Oh and Scupper if you find and deans this year to fish YT at Clemente let me know. All I have seen is very few, weak, crappy deans and small to mid sized chovie.
That would be a nice application. I love my old 270 8H. That was my first custom rod, wrapped in 1995.
I got a bft and a yft on my 270h that last trip as well fishing my 505hs and a megabait.

My second rod built was a Calstar 220 (8'6") wrapped in '96. That 220 is coming in handy this year. I've caught yellowtail on both trips with it flylining the chovies.
Thought I'd add this. I forgot my tackle bag and had to buy a couple things at the landing (thankfully had some buddies on the boat) and I bought two generic Megabaits for $4.99 in the Seaforth shop.
This one killed 4 tuna and let one go at gaff. I normally change to single hooks but considering I foul hooked 2 of the fish the treble worked out.

ok, back to the 25N talk. ;D

FatTuna

I bought the Fathom 25LW. I love the reel but the gear ratio is way to low for me; I really wish I had bought the N.

Other then that it is a solid, well built reel. I love the look and feel; it is very smooth. Out of all of the new Penn's, this one is my favorite. I have yet to take it apart so I cannot comment on the internal design yet.

spize909

Quote from: fatstriper on July 07, 2014, 10:38:08 PM
I bought the Fathom 25LW. I love the reel but the gear ratio is way to low for me; I really wish I had bought the N.

Other then that it is a solid, well built reel. I love the look and feel; it is very smooth. Out of all of the new Penn's, this one is my favorite. I have yet to take it apart so I cannot comment on the internal design yet.

what are the gears (ratio) in the LW and are they interchangable with the N?

I googled it and the LW looks to be 4.3:1. Main and pinion would cost a little under $25. I would really like to buy another 25N and gear it down and keep the 6:1 for yoyoing.

Can anyone confirm if the gears are interchangable? Would it just be a matter of swapping the main and pinion.......I didn't check to see if they shared the same bridge sleeve.

johndtuttle

They are not interchangeable.  :'(

Keta

>:( >:( >:(

I have a set of BP low speed gears in my 25N and keep carry the stock gear when
I'm out of town in case I need the high speed,  It takes 10 minutes to change the gear set.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

SoCalAngler

If your looking to fish 40lb line BP's gears would be a great addition. I had a set but sold them due to only using 30lb line on my 25N. Even with the longer rod and my drags set at around 9lbs the 6:1 seems to work fine for me. It was hard for me to sell the gears as their really nice and I like having things others don't but they were serving me no use just sitting at home.