Daiwa Saltist 6500H Trouble

Started by handi2, June 05, 2013, 05:06:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

handi2

Someone brought me a Saltist 6500H with gear noise and I cannot get the main gear out...!! I removed the keeper spring on the right side plate but no go. The right side bearing is moving but the gear shaft the shows in the bearing is not moving at all. No corrosion seen...Is there a trick to these reels..???

Thank you
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

johndtuttle

Quote from: handi2 on June 05, 2013, 05:06:45 PM
Someone brought me a Saltist 6500H with gear noise and I cannot get the main gear out...!! I removed the keeper spring on the right side plate but no go. The right side bearing is moving but the gear shaft the shows in the bearing is not moving at all. No corrosion seen...Is there a trick to these reels..???

Thank you

The idle gear bumps and binds on the main shaft so that the (I believe) the body bearings have to come out first. The non-handle side bearing is the stickler as it has to be pushed out from the gear side. I thought there might be a custom tool required to reach around the main gear as I couldn't get it out myself.

I planned to call Daiwa for advice but I apologize, I never followed through and did so. Please contact them and get a definitive answer and I will post it in the stickied thread so that others might benefit.

best regards

haydenfox!#$

Was there ever a solution here? I just bought a 6500 and it's doing (sounds/feels like) what the op described. Thanks!