Calcultta 700 'A' series fix

Started by RonB, June 06, 2013, 07:37:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RonB

I kept my beloved Calcutta 700 A series which is down with the free spool issues in the hope that someone would be come up with parts or modify parts for a fix. I know Shimano doesn't have part anymore and this reel is persona non grata to them
It has been sick since 2008 and I have kept it in storage . Is there anyone who has come up with a fix with mod parts? or should I just give up.
Thanks RonB     

alantani

there are two things that slow dow freespool in a levelwind reel.  mostly it is just the levelwind itself. you would have to tear down the levelwind assembly and clean out all the parts, and them i would dip them in tsi 301.  then you have to clean out all the bearings. and then for the best freespool, clean or polish, and then lube the spool shaft and inside of the pinion gear.  these are all the areas that slow down the reel. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

RonB

Sorry Alan I meant the problem with the push button sticking and its associated clutch pawl and freespool issues.I  I remember years ago I read you mentioned something about this somewhere in another forum about this being a weakness for this reel
I cant get a new part so I was just wondering if anyone modded or canabalised a part from elsewhere where . Thanks RonB

alantani

yes, the kick lever.  also, you need a thick washer under the main gear or the kick lever can get caught. 

alantani

i found this schematic. http://www.mikesreelrepair.com/schematics/albums/shimano/Shimano_CT700.pdf  the kick lever is BNT 1758.  i looked and do not have any.  you may be able to reshape or bend it so that it works again.  the main thing is to make sure you have a thick enough drag washer under the main gear.